thinking about getting geckos

thinking about getting geckos

Postby Tachja » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi all I'm thinking about getting leopard geckos, what do I need to know as in handling, feeding, heating and all that , an who breeds and sells, thanks Tachja
My babies,
25 Tarantulas
2 scorpions
4.7.0. KSB.
2.0.0 Cornsnakes
And whole lot of
other babies
Tachja
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: thinking about getting geckos

Postby wadekilian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

In terms of husbandry, if you're going for a simple but effective set up, an 11L Addis tub will last them for life. All you need in the tub is paper towel as a substrate, a humidity box (use moist coco husk or spider peat etc), a waterbowl and a food bowl. I prefer set ups like this, as they're easy to clean and there's less chance of anything going wrong. If you live in a warm enough area, heating isn't extremely necessary, as they can accomodate a wide range of temperatures. But try and get some heat source as it will only benefit them.

They feed on mealworms, superworms, roaches and crickets (although many people try to avoid them). The feeder insects need to be dusted with a calcium supplement with D3.

Handling a gecko is pretty simple, just don't try to restrain it or pick it up by it's tail. Watch out for skittish geckos, as most babies and some adults will jump out of your hand unexpectedly.

I might've missed a few things, but generally they're super easy to keep.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Re: thinking about getting geckos

Postby Docmorrie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 am

A very rewarding gecko to keep indeed. South Africa has a good selection of morphs, ranging from very cheap to very expensive - something for everyone.
Brought to you by "M.S. Living Art Geckos"

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/MSLivingArtGeckos
Docmorrie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)