Baby blizzard not eating and shedding problem

Baby blizzard not eating and shedding problem

Postby Jandre69 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Hey guys

I bought a baby blizzard gecko a while back on a show, and everything was perfect, she was eating like a beast, struggling a little bit to shed but with help around the feet she was fine.Then a month later she started to shed more frequently, like once a week, (and i have to help her to get the whole skin of) and its now more than a week since she has eaten anything. Do anyone have any suggestions please (she is 20 grams now) ?
Jandre69
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Baby blizzard not eating and shedding problem

Postby Frank » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Do you have a humid hide in her cage. The most likely cause of the shedding problems would be low humidity or dehydration. Can you please give us a decription of the cage setup and temperature ranges and if possible post a pic of the gecko as well.
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:41 pm

I agree with frank. I set my geckos up on paper towel and a humid hide, all shed without any problems. Make sure your temperatures are constant, also changing her setup could effect her eating.

I suggest you place a humid hide in her cage and make sure the temperatures are right and not fluctuating too much. You can try and feed her in a couple days.

Regards
Aadil
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jandre69 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey Frank

She is in one of my racks in my racking system where she has a humid hide which is always wet and she got a large water bowl. The system has heating at the back which i put off during the day because it gets to hot. its usually about 30-35 C at the back and 22-27 C at the front of the tub.
But i moved her now to a cage where she is exploring a walking around also with large water bowl and humid hide.
(How do you add a photo ?)
Jandre69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jandre69 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Baby blizzard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jandre69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 am

The Leo seems to be in good condition.

Have you considered connecting a thermostat to the racking system to better regulate the temps? A ground temp between 30 and 35 on the warm side and an ambient temp of no higher than 25 on the cool side is what you should be aiming for. If you can't get a thermostat, you can try increasing the ventilation on the cool side to lower temps on that side.
Please go have a look at my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fs-Geckos/362339593874889
Frank
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 am

Is the rock the leos on a heatrock? as those get very hot and could be burning the gecko a little bit, causing the frequent sheds.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jandre69 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 pm

@Frank . . .thanx i never thought of the thermostat idea, ill see what i can do. Ill give her a week or so in the new cage and see if that changes anything.
@Primogen The rock is a hide with the heat pad under it so it does not get that hot.

Ill keep on updating on her condition. She is starting to shed today but ill leave her to see if she can do it on her own.
Jandre69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Remember in summer the relative temperature affects the general temperature inside the enclosure making it hotter even with a thermostat.

Likewise with the lower tubs in a rack system it is generally cooler than the rest of the tubs higher in the rack systems.

I have also experienced that crested geckos and Leos that shed on normally hotter than usual days have shedding problems which can cause refusal of food. Keep the weather always in consideration if you don't have a temperature controlled facility.

I know this post is a little late but might be useful in future.

Regards
Dylan
Rabid Evolution
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)