Getting Leo's Legal in Cape Town

Getting Leo's Legal in Cape Town

Postby Clarkie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 am

Hi All :-)

Just wanted to know if there is a procedure in which we can conduct a study in cape town where we can actually gauge if its possible to allow leo's to be kept as pets in Cape Town.

I have wanted a beardy here but it has been ruled as "possible" invasive species and now after deciding to rather get a Leo I have been told that its also not legal to have a leo? :(

Having the title of " possible " is a bit vast . Owning a venomous snake carries a possibility of death to a human but its freely allowed ? Also a large exotic lizard in a metro area will surely not live a prolific life ? :?:

Please advise as I would love to have a leo as a pet but unfortunately I live in CPT which has strict rules with regards to exotic pets.
Clarkie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Getting Leo's Legal in Cape Town

Postby Slangkop » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:29 pm

I understand your frustration and to me it is not surprising,that more and more people are choosing to keep these animals without the necessary permits.
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mathandanyoka » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Permit applications now open

As of 1 October, 2014, the Department of Environmental Affairs, through the Directorate: Biosecurity, will start processing permit applications and issuing permits for restricted activities pertaining to alien and listed invasive species.
Anyone wishing to apply for a permit to carry out a restricted activity involving a species of plant and animal of an alien and/or listed invasive species may lodge an application at the Department of Environmental Affairs.
Permit applications for Alien and Listed Invasive Species can be delivered and addressed to:

Hand-delivery: The Issuing Authority, Department of Environmental Affairs, Branch: Environmental Programmes, 1st Floor, 14 Loop Street, Cape Town, 8000.

By Post: The Issuing Authority, Department of Environmental Affairs, Private Bag X4390, Cape Town, 8000.

By Fax: Fax number - 086 604 4080 (illegible faxed applications will not be processed).

By Email to:AISpermits@environment.gov.za (illegible scanned emailed applications will not be processed).
Please note that government email addresses will not accept incoming emails which are larger than 3mb. Permit application documents must be scanned and saved to pdf. Check the size of the combined documents. If they are larger than 3mb, divide them up into multiple emails that are clearly marked. (eg. YOUR FULL NAME + Email 1 of 3; YOUR FULL NAME + Email 2 of 3; YOUR FULL NAME + Email 3 of 3; etc... )
Cost of Permits
Fees in connection with the application for alien and listed invasive alien species permits in terms of the
National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act, 2004

The prescribed fees to be paid in connection with the lodging and consideration of applications for permits and
appeals - are as follows:
• Import into the Republic - R200.00
• All restricted activities - R100.00
• Renewal of permit - R50.00
• Appeals - R50.00
To download the form, click here: Permit Application Form

http://www.invasives.org.za/resources/p ... -form.html

I hope this helps!
Mathandanyoka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slangkop » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Mathandanyoka wrote:I hope this helps!

I do not think that the information you posted is relevant,since the authority dealing with these matters here is cape nature and not DEA.
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mathandanyoka » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Slangkop wrote:
Mathandanyoka wrote:I hope this helps!

I do not think that the information you posted is relevant,since the authority dealing with these matters here is cape nature and not DEA.

Not entirely true, Slangkop. Yes CapeNature is the provincial conservation department (Ordinance 19 of 1974) to enforce environmental issues within the province of Western Cape. Then there is National legislation which all provinces are obliged to enforce, so ja, DEA are involved in a way.
Mathandanyoka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Clarkie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:47 pm

So no risk evaluation needed?

I would have payed for some risk evalution to be done, maybe if Bjorn (ReptileGarden) could spear head it and just get support and funds from everyone who wants it done?

I dont know, I just waaant one of these cute guys
Clarkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slangkop » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:22 pm

@ Mathandanyoka:

This thread is about legalizing leos in the western cape,not on a national level.In fact,leos are legal in most other provinces.So in which way would the DEA be involved,can you be a bit more specific?
Can you tell me one single person in the western cape that ever received a permit for transporting or keeping reptiles from DEA?

Since you seem to be more clued up about this then Clarkie and myself,maybe you can answer a few questions to help the matter:
-what category fall leopard geckos in 2 or 3?
-where does one get the risk assessment from that's required?
-Have you ever dealt with the DEA yourself and got permits for blacklisted reptiles from them in the western cape?If yes,how did you go about it?
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:57 am

CapeNature has issued permit for Leopard geckos before by accident.

I remember someone had a permit for them and he was fighting with them to allow him to trade with the leo's or something to that effect was on his website.
This was a couple years ago already and we still can't keep them.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Clarkie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 am

Sooo I guess this isnt gonna happen? We will continue to live on the rule that if a species can "Possibily" thrive in our environment then we cannot have them. But I will just get a permit for a black mamba here in cpt and should I breed the entire CBD will be overrun with "possible" man killers. :-) .

Guess I will have to settle for cresteds :|
Clarkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slangkop » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:34 pm

I agree,the legislation is flawed!
But pointing the finger now at venomous keepers isn't the answer either.
A venomous snake,that's kept in a locked cage and a escape proof room doesn't pose a threat to anybody.
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Clarkie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Slangkop wrote:I agree,the legislation is flawed!
But pointing the finger now at venomous keepers isn't the answer either.
A venomous snake,that's kept in a locked cage and a escape proof room doesn't pose a threat to anybody.

Yes well the same applies to an alien species Mr Slangkop. an alien species thats kept in a locked cage and an escape proof room doesnt pose a threat to the flaura and fauna of the western cape. Especially a large species like beardies or leos.
Clarkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slangkop » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:29 pm

Agreed!
I just feel it's a bit pathetic,that you have to badmouth another fraction of the hobby to bring your point across.
Why don't you start a new post and propose all venomous snakes to be outlawed in the western cape?
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Clarkie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Slangkop wrote:Agreed!
I just feel it's a bit pathetic,that you have to badmouth another fraction of the hobby to bring your point across.
Why don't you start a new post and propose all venomous snakes to be outlawed in the western cape?

You deviating from the point just because you interpreted the matter incorrectly and feel you are being targeted. Which is the actual "pathetic" behavior :-P
Clarkie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slangkop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:21 pm

There is no denying Clarkie that you complained repeatedly about the fact that people are allowed to keep venomous snakes and you can't have a leo.
Painting horror scenarios of venomous snakes on the loose,all over the place killing people.Which is just total BS!
So why don't you go and change your car tyres or buy yourself a crestie,but stop talking about things you clearly know nothing about!
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 am

Okay, this is getting boring. Please stop insulting each other and stick to the actual topic.

I will lock the topic if you two carry on behaving like kids.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Next

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)