Leopard Gecko Pregnant?

Leopard Gecko Pregnant?

Postby Spoon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:46 am

How can you tell? Both of mine are really healthy nice fat tails but the female has started to get a big belly am I correct in assuming she is pregnant? And if so what do I do about it now? Do I need to buy an incubator?
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:13 pm

Pick her up, turn her over and look at the belly. You can see the eggs as they develop inside her.

You can get an incubator of follow the Thorrshamri principle of putting the eggs into a container and placing it exactly where the mother laid them. The mother should know where a good place is to lay the eggs.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:40 pm

Hi Spoon
You are probably right but turn her over and look for 2 bulges in her belly. Place a tub of vermiculite with a gecko sized entrance hole in it in her cage and wait for the eggs, start giving her 1 pink mouse every 8 days untill she lays if you are sure she is pregnant (for building the eggs). When she lays the eggs, pick them up gently and move them over to the container you want to use to incubate the eggs in,DO NOT ROTATE THE EGGS FROM THE POSITIONS THEY WERE LAID IN, drill some holes in the lid and you are ready.You don't have to go as far as to buy an expensive incubator (unless you want a specific sex of hatchlings), just put the tub with the eggs in a dark warm cupboard that stays at around 28-29 degrees celcius (room temp)
Keep us posted on the developments

Good luck!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Mabe you could post pics of her.
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vierfleck » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Hello spoon,

you should add grated cuttlebone for the female.They need calcium for egg production.

regards

Matthias
Life is hard and then you die
vierfleck
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Michelle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:38 pm

Try going onto thegeckospot.com. Its a really good site for all your info and great pictures. They show you what a gavid female looks like (you can see the white eggs through the belly). All the info you need will be there. You will have to move quite quickly before the eggs are laid and get everything set up if you want to incubate them. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Michelle
P.S I agree, post some pics.
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)