Leopard gecko breeding

Leopard gecko breeding

Postby Cazman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions on breeding leo's

I have had luck getting them to lay eggs, but lost the eggs (funges). I am using a aquarium with bricks and a aquarium heater as a incubator. The temp is 28deg (in the egg box) but I think I am using the wrong box and substrate to incubate the eggs. I use a plastic container with holes in the lid (similar to the containers you buy crickets in). Is this the correct box (method) and what is the best substrate to use?
Cazman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Dont worry if the first eggs go off. That is pretty common that the first eggs of any season are infertile.

28 degrees is fine as an incubation temperature. The easiest substrate to find and use is vermiculite which you can obtain from any nursery. Get one which is a medium grain.

Mix the vermiculite with water mixing it by weight so use 100gm of vermiculite with 100ml of water.

Put the eggs in there and then pop it in the incubator.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi, congradulations on being successful thus far, I hope to get mine to lay eggs soon as well,i've heard that the best tub to use is a tupperware container with only a few holes in the lid, vermiculite is the best substrate, wet the vermiculite and then squeeze it out so that it is just damp, I would suggest that you make the temp a tiny bit higher but it should be fine as it is, all of my advice comes from 3 years of almost constant research so I believe that its true!

Best of luck!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Yesterday much to the joy of my Wife and Son my leopard gecko laid an egg! She still looks fat though is there a possibility she might lay another egg? And if so how far apart do they lay them? Can leopard geckos get egg bound (like birds?). The female is very agro at the moment she buggered up the male last night after he came up to her and waggled his tail a bit. The egg she laid was very soft almost floppy is that normal? Right not she is just moping around with her eyes half closed and she has a good go at the male if he comes to close to her. Is all this normal? :shock:
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Spoon keep the male away if she is being stressed. He can be introduced after a few days away.

The sloppy egg can be thrown away, as it will be no good.

They can become egg bound from stress or lack of calcium or a few other reasons. It is unusual though if the female is healthy and has had access to powdered calcium while she was gravid.

They usually lay both eggs one after another.

She will lay again in a few weeks so dont worry that this one is infertile.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:49 pm

I wouldn't say throw it away just yet, the eggs are soft shelled and it may still be fertile. I also think you should remove the male if she is so agro towards him.
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)