First time iguana owner

First time iguana owner

Postby SS77 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi there,

I'm considering getting an iguana but understand it's not straight forward. Can someone guide me as to what kind of cage they should live in, I know it has to be very large (is there anyone that builds custom cages)? Is it as delicate a pet to look after as research suggests? Should they be able to roam outside under supervision? Any tips and warnings for first timers would be much appreciated. Also tips on UV lights / humidity etc.

Thanks in advance
SS77
SA Reptiles Member

Re: First time iguana owner

Postby immaculate geckos » Tue May 10, 2016 10:20 pm

Green Iguanas make great pets get really tame and if you meet all their requirements are not difficult to keep.

Firstly they are LEAF eaters so look at a good balanced diet an apple now and then wont hurt but fruit should be a treat and citrus should be avoided. (myne ate dandelion, milk thistle, chick weed, hibiscus some celery shoots and a bit of cucumber. in general)

second calcium is important and should be dusted onto the food alternate with this and a good multivitamin (I would recommend getting the two separately instead of one product)

thirdly UV lighting is extremely important. and make sure you replace the lights as need be. I would also recommend getting them into some sun.

temperature cage size and humidity will be the remaining but no less important to worry about they do get big and are quite fast with long claws for climbing...

by the sounds of things you are doing the research and that counts for allot sort out the basics now and you will enjoy an amazing family member for years to come :)
immaculate geckos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Wed May 11, 2016 8:53 am

I saw this on facebook.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Fri May 13, 2016 6:43 pm

UV... Good quality bulbs and regular daylight sessions, change the bulbs regularly! I second immaculate geckos advise on diet, leaves leaves leaves! fruit very sparingly, too much wet stuff gives them diarrhea and citrus is too acidic for their digestion...

Their caging is large bordering on the huge, lots of stuff to climb, they get BIG, I heard a guideline that said for cage size, measure at least their own length for width, their own length doubled for length, and that again for height... please dont take my word on that... Im just repeating a thing... others please correct me if needed...
They require heating, and humidity, they are tropical, keep this in mind when selecting a cage, if wood seal it properly so that it wont just rot...
They are big and strong! make sure that the cage and glass can resist a freaked out panicked lizard thrashing around running for its life...

Get it small, handle OFTEN, they become seriously mean if they are not used to you prodding and poking them, think vegetarian tree climbing crocodile...

Dont get too comfy around your lizard, they come with long fishhook claws, steak knife teeth, and saw blade tail... they WILL use them, you WILL bleed... even the tamest, nicest iguana wakes up grumpy sometimes...

So now you heard the good (Looking at you immaculate) the ugly (jka...) and the hopeful but pessimistic... (that would be me)
Good luck with your house dinosaur!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)