Female laid eggs

Female laid eggs

Postby Chameleons » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 pm

It is that time of year again! Our female iguana has laid 66 eggs, 63 of which look good. The three bad ones were damaged during the burying of them by the female. As you can see from the photo the effort of laying the eggs leaves the poor female wrecked. It always amazes us how she fits 66 eggs, which are not far of the size of small chicken eggs, inside her body. Just after she laid the eggs we needed to reassure ourselves that she was still alive, as she was exhausted but she was fine, just dirty.

For the first day or so after laying she kept returning to the laying box to inspect the eggs, oblivious to the fact they had gone. That was a week ago. She has already lost the 'empty' sides and is getting stronger every day, with a good diet. This is her fifth year of laying fertile eggs. Now all we have to do is wait for the youngsters to hatch.

Just to let you know, the male is over 1.5 metres long - so if you see a cute green iguana for sale, remember that they do grow into monsters!
David
http://www.sa-chameleons.com
or visit http://www.mantispress.co.za for details of our new chameleon book

Moved
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Female laid eggs

Postby rolandslf » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:23 am

Awesome news Duse, congrats. Kudos to you for posting that warning about how big they get, people do not realise things like this.
I must add that the female looks wasted after laying all those eggs. Just a quick question, Do you breed her every season, or do you give her seasonal breaks?
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:38 am

Congrats and good luck with the eggs.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks, they seem to be doing well in the incubators. She lays eggs every year but my wife works hard to build her up during the year with a good and varied diet. They are kept in a specially designed room, 4m by 2m by 2.5m high, with under floor heating, tiles floor with guttering for easy cleaning etc.

Hopefully the first ones will hatch mid December.
David
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Congrats on the eggs. Sounds like a nice room for them.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Skilpad » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Will you be selling the hatchlings and at what age?
Johann
Skilpad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:05 pm

I will be posting them here and on our web site www.sa-chameleons.com when they are ready. They will have to be about 3 weeks old before I sell them. If you are interested, drop me a PM or send an e-mail via the web site.
David
083 443 0735
www.sa-chameleons.com
www.mantispress.co.za
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:35 pm

congrate C
hope the eggs are fine, your female did well. mine suprised me with a whole batch she was dropping in the water bowl.
she did dig like crazy, but i found her bump over a branch dropping the eggs in the water. i manage to catch about 15 mid air, the rest i took out the water, 56 eggs. is a week now, will have a look to-nite to see whats cooking!!
last season she buried them all, but this time she really took the water- birth thing to far!!!!!
good luck with the book
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Good news - they've started hatching. They might have chosen better weather but as we are keeping a room warm for the chameleons its no so bad (and the forecast promises improvement later in the week....)

Now comes the task of getting them off to a good start! Fortunately, Lesley (my forbearing wife) is the one who gets to look after such things and she lavishes great care and attention on them- they are better fed than the human side of the family. What isn't grown in the garden invariably comes from Woolworth's.

Hope your water born eggs develop well. And thanks for your comment about the book - it is going far better than I could have hoped for.

David
http://www.sa-chameleons.com
http://www.mantispress.co.za
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Nice that pictures is so cool.
One can never get tired of seeing hatchling anythings hatching!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Loretta » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 am

Very nice photo Chameleons! Congrats!
I'm not suffering from insanity... I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Loretta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Wonderful. Congratulations.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:21 am

The little fellows are a lovely green - and so active! When we open the cage they are in we have to do so in a room with a tiled floor. That way if one does escape (they shoot out like bullets!) they can't get far as their little legs motor away but they stay stationary on the slippery floor.

I can't believe the response to the advert - they were nearly all sold before they were two weeks old - but only collected later. They are now about 4 weeks and we are down to the last few.
David
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)