Taming the wild guy...

Taming the wild guy...

Postby rabolongo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:11 am

We bought two iguanas 2 years ago.

The female was a wild child from the start but all off a sudden to our amazement, turned into a tamed sweetheart.

The male, Bubbeloo.... Turned from a tamed little thing into a 2 year old monster.. He will try and bite you from behind the glass. Tail wips and goes apesh...t. Tried almost every and any taming trick in the hat..

Any tricks in your hat ?????

We are just about to give up all hope...
1-0-0 Albino Burmese Python
0-1-0 Salmon Red Tailed Boa
1-1-0 Leopard Gecko
0-1-0 American Alligator
rabolongo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Taming the wild guy...

Postby warbot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 am

unfortunately I have the same problem... I was told it is a dominating thing, if they are together put both in their separate enclosures and make sure they are not based over your shoulders.

that is the advise I got with my Savannah's.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Warren Klein » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:53 am

I know what you mean. Male iguanas go through the worst puberty of any lizard and can take a long time to settle down. My crazy male (Gungi) will do wheel spins with his claws on your arms, tail whips and bites when he get's the chance. Infact he once got me by the tip of my index finger and almost tore it off! I got 4 stitches and only the nail saved my finger tip! If he has a good appetite you can use it in your favor by winning his trust with his favorite food items like hibiscus flowers for example. You need to get him used to being touched without loosing your fingers. This is best achieved by using one of those long thin paint brushed used by artist for paintings. Gently stroke him with the soft brush while encouraging him to take food from you and try win his trust like that. When he stops trying to bite the brush you can bring a gloved hand into the picture and eventually your own hand. Try getting him to sit on your arm while taking food and eventually he may calm down. It takes allot of time and effort thou. I personally have just accepted that I love my Iguana and he hates me! Iguanas are not the best choice for a lizard pet.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks for the advise, learned something new :)
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby MissAvic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:20 am

I have to agree that Iguanas aren't ment to be pets. I know alot of people will disagree with me, because they have very docile Iguanas. But you really have to be an Iguana person to own some. It takes time and patience and lots of care.

I heard that things like new decor, substrate, perfumes, full moon cycles in women, smoke, alchol and sertain colours, all upsets them. Maybe something is different in or around the cage and it might be upsetting him.

Don't give up yet, maybe it's just a phase and he only needs time to get over it.

All the best.
<Avic>
MissAvic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:57 pm

i love my iggies, but it drive me nuts when they do that. i have 7 iggies and been breading for nearly 5 years. must admit that females are better pet than males( meaning they are more stable in temperament), on the other hand i find that males are better free romers than female.
my freeroming male (5 years old)started to turn nuts since Sat. i received as a present a 5 day old beautiful pot belly piggie amd my male is in a state. if i carry him down the corridor to bath in the morning and take the turn into the bathroom he goes mad. he had a run in with the new baby in the corridor last week. he was outside in the sun , i didn't see him walking in (he usually goes to the guest room and gets onto the bed for a nap)and the piggie woke up in my bedroom, came running down the corridor. well it was chaos, he must have waked her with his tail, she was screaming blue murder and he was unhandleable.
its been 5 days since the collision and he's still not happy
the piggie and other iggs are fine, she will walk up to them, sniff and snudge them, they will stiffen up a little , then relax. i think it was the element of surprise that got to him!!!!
2 years is a typical teenage phase, just hang in there and keep on handling him. i wear soft cotton cloves(bridal ones) for the scratching bit, because i don't think they mean to claw. its just to save my hands and forearms, because i handling all the adults and babies daily.
if your male turns orangish its his hormones as well, they can become nasty for a while then back to normal. good luck!! keep us posted
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)