Green Iguana facts

Green Iguana facts

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59 am

Green Iguanas are probably my favourite reptiles and so Im always keen to learn more about them. As a Christmas gift from an uncle I got given a box set with a few reptile DVDs, one of which is a David Attenborough documentary on Green Iguanas. I learnt alot about these lizards which I did not know before and I thought I would share some of it with you.

Did you know ...

- Green Iguanas live at the very tops of the trees in the forest and when danger presents itself they will simply jump from the top straight into the river. The height is no joke, those trees are very high.
- They can stay under water for up to 45minutes while the danger passes. The footage shows them holding onto a branch underwater whilst they wait. When long enough time has lapsed they slowly surface, checking the area before exiting the water.
- Hatchling Iguanas stick together as a group after hatching and if they come across an adult they will stick with it. They will also feed off its dung.
- Iguanas and brown Basilisks share the same habitat. Not sure why I found this so interesting. Hatchling Iguanas are eaten by adult Basilisks.
There was more which I cannot recall, will post here when I remember.

One thing I noticed was they did not mention the "third eye", I thought that was odd.

They seem so at home in the water that I wonder if they wouldnt benefit from very large ponds in captivity.

Feel free to post something remarkable about Green Iguanas here, there is so much to know about them.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Green Iguana facts

Postby Pinnacle Geckos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:22 am

- Hatchling Iguanas stick together as a group after hatching and if they come across an adult they will stick with it. They will also feed off its dung.

To pick up any beneficial bacteria
Pinnacle Geckos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 am

Yeah gut flora
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Heinz09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 am

Well your uncle officially rocks, I am still looking for any descent material that is relaible, since we all know the internet has alot of **** to get through to find a diamond or two.

Can you post the titles of the DVDs?
Red Tail Boa 0,0,1
Mexican Red Knee 0,0,1
Trinidad Chevron 0,0,1
Curly Hair 0,0,1
Bearded Dragon 0, 0, 2
Heinz09
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seps » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:45 am

Nice, I must look out for the DVD.

It is quite strange that they did not mention the "third eye" though.

You would think that that would be one of the main points of interest in such a documentary.
Seps
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:50 am

David Attenburrough - Living like dinosaurs
http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Igu ... _Dinosaurs

The others were certain Jeff Corwin documentaries.

This same uncle once found an albino Brown housesnake here in Toti, he took it to FSP and they offered him any snake they had on display as a trade. He declined and took it home only to have it die the following day.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)