Shedding

Shedding

Postby einstein » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 am

Hi Guys.
I'm not sure if I should be concerned but this is what's happening...
I have a 10 month old green iguana (Einstein), he measures 58cm in length from nose to tail. He is in perfect health and eats very well, twice a day. HE HASNT STOPPED SHEDDING SINCE MID FEB! Is this normal? Just when it looks like he's about to stop (which is usually last on his lower back) he starts again! And its always a full body shedd, I remember when he was younger he use to shed 1 body part at a time every couple weeks and it normally lasted just 2-3 days. He was always moody during this time, now he's even worse, I struggle to get him out his cage, I have to grab him with a towel to get him out the bath tub and I cannot play with him or hand feed him anymore!
Please help
Thanks in advance
einstein
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Shedding

Postby bradmiller » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:22 am

Not to sure about this as I am not a lizzard keeper.
But I had a snake that shed every two weeks - she eventually stopped eating and I took her to the vet for tests.
Turned out she had a rare bacteria and despite all attempts she succumbed.

I am not saying this is the case for you but worth checking - the autopsy revealed that the bacteria could of been treated with Augmentin (which is an unusual medication for reptiles).

In your case I would check for mites or a skin infection.

good luck
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Shedding

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Usually they are trying to get rid of something by shedding. Possibly you should stop handling him for a few weeks and see if it changes. The oils on your hands might be bothering him. If you were bathing him that could be where he was getting soap on his skin. Stop doing that as well. Give him direct sunlight in a shaded mesh cage or aviary. Often bacteria on the skin is killed by the suns UV light.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)