iguana bought at expos tail point is black(dead)

Re: iguana bought at expos tail point is black(dead)

Postby Tachja » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:15 pm

The only thing I asked about here was the tail, and if you take a look on most f the google searches found , some say you can feed insects , not my fault the site says that is it
My babies,
25 Tarantulas
2 scorpions
4.7.0. KSB.
2.0.0 Cornsnakes
And whole lot of
other babies
Tachja
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Tachja » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm

He. May have said its not a personal attack but is sure as hell feels like one especially by telling me rather to buy a snake or tarantula
My babies,
25 Tarantulas
2 scorpions
4.7.0. KSB.
2.0.0 Cornsnakes
And whole lot of
other babies
Tachja

Postby Tachja » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:39 pm

what are these worth
by Tachja » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:38 pm in
Tarantula keeping
That's when I advertised my t's
Tachja

Postby kfc223 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 am

Tachja wrote:And for you information I have had bearded dragons which the care is similar to having a iguana and the difference is that the bearded dragon is smaller and not as aggro...

Are you sure about that?

1. Bearded dragons come from the Australian Outback(Desert).

2. Green Iguanas come from Tropical South America(Tropical Rainforest).

I don't think their care is similar.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tachja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:20 am

Bearde dragons eat salad so do iguanas they both need heat lamps they both need uvb lights and they both need a night light and daily attention the only other thing they don't have in common is the humidity so that is what I meant by saying their care is more or less the same, but I wasn't wrong about this site and the people judging everyone, you know what I ask for advice on a black tail point and black spots, but I didn't need to ask people like you all, I just needed a real friend and a keeper of reptiles advice, which he was more that willing to give he took a look and said not to worry the tail part will fall off on its own and said the black spots are bruises, but thank you all for judging and I hope your day comes when someone treats you the same way, I don't need anymore answer so please keep them to yourself, and she is looking much better since I have her, so you can all go jump
Tachja

Postby cascade » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 am

Buying on impulse is part and parcel of going to an EXPO!!
Same as walking into a pet shop, it happens every day.
It is up to the shop to inform the person what is the right way to look after them, give them a care sheets and make sure the person has all the right equipment for the care of the "pet" and the new owner knows what to do. And advise the person to join a forum where he can get the correct information.
Sounds like Tachja knows what he is doing, just wanted advise regarding the tail.

Instead people get hooked on the research and the fact that the thing might become agro rather try and help the guy, instead of telling him to stick to other things.
This forum is to help and not enforce, that would be down to BV and the moderators on the forum.

Tachja read through this link, talks about the tale.
http://www.greenigsociety.org/tailloss.htm
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Foxticity » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 pm

@ Tachja

Just get a non toxic marker and mark the tail. Even just a dot will do just to see if it spreads.
If you cant find anything, just measure the tail from the body or even the tip and then remeasure every few days after that.

I have a few iguanas and must say that they are ausime.
IF you have a big outdoor cage for them, then 80% is already cared for.
Mine stay outside in their cage (will bring them in during winter) and sleep in a home made dog box.

The have lots to climb and relax on and the most important bit is a big water bowl.
I just used a big garden water feature which works great. My big male (Zeus) jump in and loves a swim during the day.

If you have the right cage for them outside, Then you just need the right diet and you are sorted.
Mine are all tame. I don't handle them everyday but they can be handled without biting or tail whips.

HOWEVER, I must admit that they do change. During breeding season, the male turns completely orange than he is very protective over the female.
And I can handle them no issue, but if my friend enter their cage, then they want to tail whip him.
So iguanas do react differently towards certain people...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tachja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you cascade and foxticity you 2 are very nice will do what you say we have already picked out a site for outside cage she is only about +- 30 cm now so she's got a long way to go
Tachja

Postby Shaun P » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:35 am

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, Foxticity, do you use any additional heating when keeping your iguanas outdoors. I would really love to know as, I am planning on moving my iguanas into one of my aviaries. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards Shaun
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 am

I have two Iggys, the first was bought over December and was a wild as can be, had an edge of real terror for humans although with much love he (I think) is doing better. He also had a black lump and spot on his leg which cleared up over a couple of molts with proper UV, a good diet and Pets Pleasure beeswax balm on occasion.

The second was a hatchling bought at the Expo from Reptilians. I paid R400.00 for the little chap and s/he's flawless, captive bred and while skittish, does not have that deep fear of humans that my first had. There were three other people with Igs at the Expo, one had only large specimens, the second had a couple of good looking larger juveniles and the third had dozens in crowded conditions showing missing tail tips (black), toes and black spots and lumps.

My question is, are these imports/"ranched" iguana's, and is it ethical to sell animals in this state? Because my experiences between the two (I suspect Iggy 1 comes from a supplier as mentioned although bought from a petshop) is chalk and cheese frankly, although Barnabas is settling down and healthy now, starting out with an Ig like Poppie would have been less traumatic.

Full marks to Tachja for wanting to help an Ig with a good home, with love and patience they do learn to trust humans, at least in my limited experience.
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Foxticity » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 am

The issue with iguanas is that everybody see them at the show as babies and think that they will grow to the size of a beardy. Only he 1meter length has been reached, than they don't want them anymore and that's where everything starts. Their nails are now bigger and hurt a bit more so they don't get handled causing them to become wild.
I have bough a few iguanas in my time from people that don't care for them as the hurt them and eat to much.
I bought a iguana male from a guy in brakpan. The iguana was about 1 meter long and was housed in a cage that was 900x500x500. The only substrate was big bark chips and it had a small bowl of water and only got fed iguana pellets.
It did not any UV light, only a normal house bulb that was left on 24hours. The iguana was very wild, full of burn marks and when I started feeding veggies, it was not sure what to do.
I handled the iguana at least one a day and many liters of blood later and scares, the iguana became tame and could be handled. I eventually sold him to somebody that had a female the same age and they were very happy with the chap as he was tame and healthy.

I got another female for R300 as they guy hated her because she bit his hand so bad that he had to get a few stitches. I managed to get her so tame that she walked around in the house and garden like a dog with no issues and had no issues to be picked up or tickled. She has a real sweetheart and even gave me 19 eggs but all this was done by care!!!. I handled her daily in the shower as she could not run away from me and eventually gave up fighting and became the best iguana I have ever had.

Iguanas need a lot of care. They are in a way like a dog, If you love them, the will kinda love you back. Treat them like cr@p and they will bite and hit the cr@p out of you. They need a lot of space and must have a place to retreat to when they don't want to be with you as they also get off days.

@Shaun P.
Where we are now it is still warm so there are not really issues now. If it really gets cold then we will bring them in. They have a house in their cage with hay and a blanky in if they get cold but heating pads are also installed and sealed away that they cant get to them.
If you have a big enough cage, I will suggest to get a dog like house for them and install a panel heater with a thermostat for them, That will be the best way to heat them up. I am going to build them a house soon before the winter and do the same.

Strangely, my iguanas are a bit trained (don't know how). If they sorted than they are mostly in the top part of their cage or in the fountain.
But when they feel like coming in then they go sit at the cage door. If we open the door, they walk into the house and get into their cage.
The big iguanas don't like to be picked up so we leave them to walk into the house on their own. Strangely, they always walk via the exact same route. Like a tortoise.
Ceramic heaters also work like a charm, Just make sure it does not touch them as they get very hot...
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks Foxticity, the cage I am planning on putting my iguanas in is 2m x 2m x 3.5m. I will get a wooden box first and get the panel heater installed before moving them outside. Moving them in for the late autumn & winter only.
Regards Shaun
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)