Looking for taming advice please....

Looking for taming advice please....

Postby Inyanga » Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm

I have two young (<1yr) old iguanas whom I love very much and who are frankly spoiled rotten. The problem is that they are yet to tame up much. They each have their own cage, fully set up and are fed straight out of a Botanical Garden so are healthy, happy and full of beans.
I have been focusing on building trust and hand feeding with Moringa as the primary treat, trying CAT and non-confrontational taming methods, reading and watching videos on You-Tube about positive/negative reinforcement and the like.
The question is: they are slowly becoming sweethearts, but every Sunday I remove them from their cages/safe-places to give them a proper clean, the poo isnt so bad since both go in the water bowls but they shed all the time if nothing else and its the only way to clean them properly.
Then we dont talk to each other for three days, and they hate me for the rest of the week....

Am I doing something wrong? Should I leave them in the cage and try to clean around them or shouldnt I worry so much? Please help....
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Looking for taming advice please....

Postby NewtTZ » Thu May 30, 2013 4:57 pm

How long have you had the Iguanas?

It can take several months to properly tame them.

Iguanas are not dogs or cats and learn things in a much simpler and slower way.

They probably still see you as a predator removing them from their cages in order to eat them, not clean them.

Give them time to calm down after cleaning, this could be a few hours or a few days.

They will come around eventually just keep trying.
Tim's Reptile Supplies
www.timsreptiles.co.za
NewtTZ
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu May 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Would it help if they were fed outside the cage to make them think they have the whole house as an territory?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:12 am

They do definately think in an odd way thats for sure! The last couple of weeks Ive been cleaning around them, they seem to prefer that and are a lot calmer with me. I just worry about the preverbial "long memory/holding a grudge" that Iggys are known for, dont want to make a mistake that Ill regret later!
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)