Collard Greens

Collard Greens

Postby Chancho » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi, I'm new to the site and am looking for a little advice please.

I am a first time iguana owner and have a 7 month old green iguana (Chancho) that I have had since he/she was a hatchling. I am trying to stick as close to possible to the ideal diet recommendations as I can but I'm struggling a bit with the leafy greens. I wondered if anyone has found a place where you can buy either fresh collard greens or the seeds to grow them. They seem to be quite the rarity here in SA.

On Melissa Kaplan's site she gives some alternative names below:
(US). borecale, cut-and-come-again, rosette colewort, watercress (UK), spring greens, pamphrey (UK); chou precoce (FR), col verde nueva, verdes del collard (SP), lente blad groente (NE), junge kohlblatter (DE); Cavolo Nero, verza (IT); berza (SP). Brassica oleracea var.acephala. Note: In the UK, bags of "spring greens" = collard; "greens" = cabbage

Does anyone know where I can find some? i.e. a seed company etc. that might stock them?

Thanks

Kim
Chancho
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Collard Greens

Postby Chancho » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Addditonally if anyone knows of a place near Centurion/Pretoria that sells prepared iguana salad that would be a bonus. The one I am getting at the moment contains too much baby spinach so I am throwing almost all of it away for a small amount of dandelion, mustard, turnip leaves etc.
Chancho
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Try http://www.seedsforafrica.co.za/ They have a wide variety of seeds available and post them as well.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member