Aggressive iggy

Aggressive iggy

Postby reinhard » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:20 am

A guy I know has an iggy that he hasn't handled in a year. It's been very agressive ever since he bought it. Somebody told me it could be because of a dietary problem. Personally I think it's because he wasn't persistant enough. What do you think ?
reinhard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:38 pm

If you never handle your iguana you cannot expect it to suddenly roll over and let you scratch its tummy. It should have been handled a bit at a time from a baby and then it will be used to being handled.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby madcow » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:30 pm

try cooling him down (dropping temperature) but not drastically !!!!
Iggy's tend to be a bit agressive if the temperature is a bit high !!
I actually got this info from a breeder at one of the ERHA meetings
Pasop vir die skerp kant!!!
madcow
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Aggressive iggy

Postby Roxi » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:35 pm

I reciently bought a new iggy he is + - 18 months. He had not been handled at all. when i got him he was extreamley aggressive, Well 2 weeks have passed and he is eating out of me hand and he is as tame as can be.. a little TLC gos a long way.
Roxi
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Aggressive iggy

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:57 pm

well done roxy
time,time,time. i got a rescue iggie in about 2 years ago, what they have done to her i rather don't wanna know. she had a hard life, i always refer to her as my old "spirits drinker", one foot no toes, halfa tail,scaring to horrific to describe, she was so vicious, she whipped and bit like crazy. it took me 6 months to the stage that i handle her with no problem. i rub her skin with oil daily, after her bath, she will still huff and puff, but no biting or whipping anymore.
in total i have 4 rescues, they all were bad, but you can win them over with effort and lots of patience!
reinhard, tell your friend to get soft cotton gloves, the bridal jobbies, it just help for the severe scratching, and put in a lot of time with the iggie handling it daily.
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Green iguanas (Iguana iguana)