Not sure what ?

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Not sure what ?

Postby Flyingfish » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:56 am

Hi

I reside on the East Rand and in Dec of last year took in a tortoise no one wanted (from Rustenburg). Well dirty and injured
from a weed eater and or dog and very shy.
Between the start of winter and when we adopted him, weight was gained and he grew some (keep a sheet with details).

I was sure we had a Sulcata but now I am not so sure as the colder it has become the less the tortoise will come out. His house
is indoors next to my fish tanks and has a heater pad under the box, plenty of hay and a retipzoo infrared light for warmth as well.
Only come out twice on his own in the last month.

As he now appears to be in some sort of hibernation is this indeed a Sulcata or another species ? see pics below.

Marc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flyingfish
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Not sure what ?

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 am

Hi.This is most likely a Lobatse Hinged Tortoise-Kinixys lobatsiensis. or one of the other hinged tortoises from further north.
Occurs along the hills from east of Pretoria and west into Botswana
They go into holes in winter and dry periods but need to bask when the weather is good.
A.
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ragner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:33 pm

Can't be spekii - their shells are flat and not as domed.
I think your man above has it right.
ragner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Flyingfish » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 am

Hi Allen and Ragner

Thank you very much for the reply, much appreciated.

After some reading and viewing other pics on the net the little fellow certainly looks like a Lobatse Hinged Tortoise.

The info in this article is spot on to what we have, http://www.carecentre.org.za/hingedback2.html

Marc
Flyingfish
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians