Thirteen nailed for turtle poaching

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Thirteen nailed for turtle poaching

Postby JPWittstock » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Some good news:

A Philippine court has fined and sentenced 13 Vietnamese poachers to several months in prison after they were caught two years ago trying to flee with 101 critically endangered turtles, a conservationist group said on Friday.

The World Wide Fund for Nature said the sentences, handed down last week in the southwestern island province of Palawan, could serve as a precedent and a strong warning to poachers from nearby countries who in the past have escaped prison time.

In the last decade more than a thousand foreigners - most of them Chinese and Vietnamese - have been arrested and charged with poaching but "sentences have historically proven rare, under fear of damaging international relations with neighbouring countries," WWF said in a statement.

The Philippine navy said it nabbed the Vietnamese fishermen in 2008 after firing warning shorts during a 30-minute sea chase as they attempted to scuttle their boat by flooding the holds.

The sailors found 101 drowned Hawksbill Turtles - classified as critically endangered - in the vessel's cargo holds. To be classified as critically endangered is the highest risk rating for a living animal, WWF said.

The Puerto Princesa Regional Trial Court convicted and sentenced the fishermen to between six and 18 months in prison plus fines. The court ruled that only the fines remain to be served because the poachers have been detained since September 2008.

WWF said the 2008 catch proved one of the largest illegal wildlife hauls in the Philippines that year. - Sapa-AP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Thirteen nailed for turtle poaching

Postby Hustler » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:23 pm

The ones that deserve very harsh sentences! Glad that they were caught and are now going to be punished accordingly
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:52 am

Kap hulle toties af!
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:38 am

Who do they think they are BP? Only BP can kill so many turtles and get away with it.

I dont think time in a Philippine jail is fun either.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 pm

BOOGY wrote:Kap hulle toties af!

Agreed
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 pm

Sounds like alotta bollocks to me. Someone getting sentenced 10 years for house theft -foreign or not- is the standard.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians