Caiman or Nile

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Caiman or Nile

Postby Hustler » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this 1. With the recent scams that have been going on regarding Nile Crocodiles being sold to unsuspecting buyers as Caimans. Could anyone tell me if this is either just another Nile Croc or possibly a Spectacled Caiman as the snout seems a bit too long to be that of a Dwarf Caiman.

Thanks in advance.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Caiman or Nile

Postby Animaniacs » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:57 pm

That's a Nile Croc. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Animaniacs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:18 am

I suspected as much, just needed a more experienced opinion. Thanks Animaniacs

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Animaniacs » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:36 am

Sorry for informing you. If i may ask how much did you pay for her/him ?
Apparently there was more than 40 sold as Caiman's.
It's sad that there is people out there "stealing" from others and
making our trade bad in the eyes of others.
Animaniacs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:58 am

I was actually supposed to trade for a few reptiles in my collection luckily my suspicions worked in my favour. The fact that I knew about the scam is what made me really suspicious of it. A mate of mine actually paid 3.5k for it because the guy was adament that it's a Caiman and he need not worry about it being anything illegal. It really is a very sad thing, especially because they put the crocs lives and the general publics lives at risk. I feel bad for the average Joe with small children in the house who buys these 'cute little caimans', that only grow to around 2m just to find out that it's a Nile Croc that grows to be atleast 4m. I really do wonder how many have already been confiscated and why the guys selling these Nile's as Caimans haven't been arrested yet.

- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby paul » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:29 am

Any crocodile is potentially dangerous does not matter if they are only 6m or 1.5m. A crocodile, caiman or alligator of over a meter in size is a big strong and dangerous animal. And if there are kept under the correct conditions they can grow at an alarming rate, it does not take several years to get big.
Paul.
REPTILES LOVE US! YOU WILL TOO!
http://www.thefeederfactory.co.za
paul
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:54 am

Definately not arguing that because it is true any croc is dangerous. But being realistic a 6m croc is waaaay more dangerous due to it being stronger and potentially more aggressive. A 1.5m croc can give you a hassle, give you terrible bites and do alot of damage basically but a 6m croc can kill you and get rid of the 'evidence' if you're not carefull.

- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 am

I am sure this will be the result of at least a few of these Caimen....
http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Krokodil-in-Pretoria-gevang-20100815
This is the kind of thing that results in serious reptile bans effecting all of us.
Finding these guys should be easy enough as they are local and a handful guys have had face to face contact with them.
They desperately need to be educated on the possible repercussions of what they are doing.
I am also curious as to where are they getting the crocs from?
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians