Alligator & Caiman

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Re: Alligator & Caiman

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:19 am

What about studying, working etc. Most caimans are smaller than alligators and can cost a lot, for example if you were to breed dwarfs (which stay a managable size at about 1,6m) and only get ten eggs and sell them for 10k each, thats 100k. In your case I think smaller is better...
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:25 pm

I will definitely buy a snake park meanwhile studying with Unisa at home/park. lol Ok dwarfs are very nice and quite expencive so you do make some more money. but no matter what it is.. I won't ''handle'' any croc for no reason. I mean no matter how small the still have teeth, I even do get a little bit of an adrenalin rush when I have to catch those small (1 year old) nile crocs behind the head because I had one bad experience with a nile monitor... So in other words they will just stay happily in their exhibit without any handling unless they are still very small and then let them get used to human interaction.. So that is what I want to do. But by the way what is the price range for dwarfs small to big/breedable

Thanks!
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Doug Anderson » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:24 pm

If you are asking such questions, I think you are out of your depth ...
Doug Anderson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:02 pm

OK!!!! I think let's get back to the topic, I asked what the price range for aligators and caimen are. Not what do you think of me keeping a croc. And what I do, will do and has done in my live has absolutely nothing to do with anybody. I didn't even say that I was going to get me any but was just thinking about if I will one day and if it is this year , next year or 20 years from now hasn't got anything to do with anybody. I am absolutely not pointing fingers to anyone but that is how many on this forum are and I know alot of people that doesn't want to register on this forum because of this. I really apreciate all advice!!!!!

@Wolf777 I see your point and it is a good one too. So investing a bit more money can also bring you back alot more. So that is why I ask what the price range for them are.

Thanks
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Please note: I'm not talking about this topic that I'm dissapointed, I just had to say what I feel and now it's over. This is a GREAT forum and there are many great people here as well that gives great advice!!!!!!!!
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Also keep in mind that if you decide to buy a crocodilian, it's tank/enclosure has to be kept clean etc, so you will have to go in or remove it. I would go for one of the caimans if I were you, I don't have any info with regards to american alligators.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah dwarf caiman is a good option. Cuvier Dwarf Caiman! Very nice! Schneider's Dwarf Caiman is also quite nice!? Do you know the price avrage for these guys? (''small - breedable size'')

Thanks!
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:37 pm

All I know is that the dwarfs at the show last year went for about 12000. The cheapest you will get any caiman for is about 5k in any case and it seems the smaller the species the higher the price.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Thank you very much!! Really appreciate it!
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey,

Does anyone know about the Dwarf's that were at the show (who was selling them)? Who would I be able to contact?

Thanks.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 pm

This topic is pathetic! You are not suppose to keep an animal like that if you are 15 years old!
You know how much work goes into keeping s caimen? It took me 3 days to clean my tank properly, it stinks! You must watch what you feed it. How are you going to do this while in school?
How are you going to transport it when it's big? What are you going to do with it when you loose interest or when it outgrows it's enclosure (I believe someone let a Nile croc go in a suburban area(Meyersdal) last week. I've been looking for it as I know where they did it).
This is a big thing hey! You have a few drinks(you too young) and then you show it off to all your friends? Someone gets bitten?(it's happened to me, without the drinks!)you are going to be in big poo if you rock up to a hospital with a croc bite. People talk! No matter how legal you think it is to keep it, try to explain that to saps! "Eish sir, you have to come with us".. That also happens!

Wait till you out of school, work, buy a house and then you get a nice tank in you lounge or a pond in your yard and then it's your secret. Believe me, your friends will get you into trouble. I had my fair share and I was lucky to get off!

Rant over
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby gino » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:16 pm

There was 3 black dwarf African crocs doing the rounds 2 months back.
I believe they were R22k each :shock:
Anyone know how legal they are?
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Wolf777 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:17 pm

A bit off topic but Gino do you still have the caiman? If so please post some pics. I want one but yes too much responsibility now, I will get one when I'm older and have a more stable life.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi Gino! It has been a while for this topic,(things have changed)..But just, the fact that you definitely do not know what and how I keep my animals and WHERE I keep them is irritating.. Unfortunatly I am/cannot share where I would have kept them and who would have ''cleaned their cage/exhibit'' etc.. And as I say: do not underestimate me!
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:50 pm

The dwarf crocs that are doing the rounds are being smuggled in every second month by a guy who has contacts in a trucking company. There is no way in heck that these are legal.

These must not be confused with the Nile crocs that are being sold off as dwarf crocs. That scam is still going on.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians