South African Leopard Tortoise

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Re: South African Leopard Tortoise

Postby Gordvisr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:15 am

yagyujubei wrote:
Smeegle wrote:I kept two of these for at least a decade in my youth until my mom consulted Rod Patterson who suggested we donate them to the Everard Read estate, which we did.

Anyway, my point is that I think the animal in the first picture looks very sickly. I agree that the substrate is wrong, as well as possibly the diet and the lack of sunshine. They thrive in the dry Highveld where I used to live.

You can't just keep them in a moist cage and feed them on greens. Please, prove me wrong here...

I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not. She is new to me, but is a good eater. The oldest little ones are about 7 - 8 months old now, and are about 160g and 3/14" long,the youngest born late December and around 35g and all seem to be thriving. I live in a cold northern climate and it's raising animals such as these presents different problems than they face in their home climate.

By looking at the picture of the "new female " to mee also does not look if she is very healthy ( i am not saying she is not ) form the shell on the front side it looks like it was rubbed away badly , even on the sides, the lighter colour is because of the lack of sunlight. i took a female from someone who kept this animal indoors for about two to three years. it did spend some days outdoors. the shell was as light as yours but as soft as cork. it took time for it to set hard again, about three years. I will take some pictures of both my male and female and then you will see the difference between yours and mine.
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Re: South African Leopard Tortoise

Postby Gordvisr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:17 am

oh and yes they are not made for a cage indoors but in the country you live in the survival rate for them outside should be very low.
Gordvisr
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians