Importing Hermann's Tortoise

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Importing Hermann's Tortoise

Postby Arnout » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 am

Dear Reptile-fanatics,

I have a question concerning the regulations and legality of importing a couple of Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni hermanni).

We already have them as pets in The Netherlands, but since we are emigrating to South Africa, we would like to bring them along. We have all necessary CITES-documents for keeping them and both animals carry a micochip for identification, matching with their CITES-documents ofcourse.

We are planning to stay in Limpopo, but I guess the regulations are uniform throughout South-Africa and not province-restricted.

However, I would like to hear from you if it is possible to import our tortoisses into South Africa.

Kind regards,

Arnout
Arnout
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Importing Hermann's Tortoise

Postby Bushviper » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:11 pm

On some occasions it is possible to bring pets with to another country which is normally not allowed.

The best idea would be to write to the correct department Limpopo www.limpopo.gov.za , and either Deon von Wielligh, deon@ledet.gov.za or Abraham Matsila, E-mail: matsilaAN@ledet.gov.za or write to P.O. Box 55464 Pietersburg 0700, Tel: 015 – 290 7000, Fax: 015 – 295 5018
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Importing Hermann's Tortoise

Postby Arnout » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 am

Hi,

Thanks for your answer and help.
I will certainly email them and keep you noticed on the outcome.
Lets hope for the best.

Best regards,

Arnout
Arnout
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians