Leopard Tortoise - Needs help!

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Leopard Tortoise - Needs help!

Postby Stece » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 am

Hi All

I have just recently relocated from Pta to Port Elizabeth and came accross a local with what i believe was a leopard tortoise - Seeing this made me very sad as i didnt know where this poor fellow was going to end up. As to my knowledge needing permits i had a huge quarrell with the local before he handed it over to me as usual wanting money for his tortoise which i declined and somewhat mentioned police and hes not allowed to have this in his belonging.

Finally i had the critter out of dangers way - But i have no idea now where to with this little one. He seems to be in good shape but i need help please where to i can take him to be in good hands, or if i will be able to look after him, Do you need a permit.

Replies with some help will be appreciated. He has drank allot of water which i believe he was dehydrated and currently mowing my lawn for now...hahaha
Stece
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Leopard Tortoise - Needs help!

Postby Stece » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 am

Thats a picture of the little man/lady... My apologies im absolute noob to all of this.
Stece
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 am

Hi there.

As far as I know natcon is very strict on them and they do need to be permited. Very nice thing you did by taking it away from him as I assume it would have been cooked in its shell for lunch. Try contacting natcon in PE and ask them to advise you as to what to do. Just as a warning, I contacted natcon east london a while ago to tell them that I found a corn snake in someones yard and am still waiting for them to tell me what to do with it. But just to be safe, its always better to tell them that you have it before they find out you have it.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stece » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:34 am

Thanks so much, I will try give them a shout. Yes i dont want to burn my own fingers here just by helping this fellow but its just something i had to do as you say would have probably been for lunch.
Stece
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stece » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 pm

If i run into this same problem you have encountered with a lack of interest can anyone please tell me the correct diet for this animal, as i am going to have to take care of it until it finds itself to good hands. My only concern is i dont know how long hes been taken from the wild and scared to just release him back to the wild and he wont have the mindset of finding food instead waiting for it to be given food if hes been looked after as a pet ....and surely wont survive??

I have read up 70% of the diet is grass and weeds and no fruit to be given would that be correct?
Stece
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:59 pm

if you run a search on the forum you will find plenty of advice on tortoise feeding.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians