Discolored mouth

Aligators, caimen, crocodiles, terrapins, tortoises and turtles exotic to South Africa.

Discolored mouth

Postby rabolongo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi guys

Please help, tonight when cleaning fluffy's tank I noticed discolored patches on the inside of the upper jaw. Can this be mouthrot or something like it ?

She is hissy (and got hold of my thumb when investigating) but otherwise she seem to be in good health and eats like a monster.

Any ideas ?? But have a feeling we will have a trip to onderstepoort tomorrow morning first thing
1-0-0 Albino Burmese Python
0-1-0 Salmon Red Tailed Boa
1-1-0 Leopard Gecko
0-1-0 American Alligator
rabolongo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Discolored mouth

Postby rabolongo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Took Fluffy to the vet today

Turns out the discoloration is nothing but pigmentation.

Apparently its rare but does occur and has been seen in crocodiles and a handful of Alligators. Other than the pigmentation scare she received a clean bill of health.
1-0-0 Albino Burmese Python
0-1-0 Salmon Red Tailed Boa
1-1-0 Leopard Gecko
0-1-0 American Alligator
rabolongo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chondro3000 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:39 am

Yes I've noticed that on a lot of crocodilian it somethimes go away and sometimes permanent
Man kind would be very lonely with out the companionship of animals
chondro3000
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 am

rabolongo wrote:Hi guys

Please help, tonight when cleaning fluffy's tank I noticed discolored patches on the inside of the upper jaw. Can this be mouthrot or something like it ?

She is hissy (and got hold of my thumb when investigating) but otherwise she seem to be in good health and eats like a monster.

Any ideas ?? But have a feeling we will have a trip to onderstepoort tomorrow morning first thing

Hey man

I am sure you were a bit discouraged or disappointed by the lack of responses to your topic, and I just want to give you some tips.

I think you had so few responses as no one had any idea which animal you were talking about. You just mentioned that the patient was "Fluffy" but not whether it is an Alligator, Turtle, Tortoise etc. So I think guys didn't bother responding.

Maybe is the future you should try to make the post title a bit more descriptive like "Alligator with Discoloured Mouth" or at least describe in the text what species it is.

I am happy that it turned out not to be mouth rot! Good luck with Fluffy.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Exotic chelonians and crocodilians