need info on veiled

need info on veiled

Postby Ales » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:02 am

Hey :D ,im new on this site since yesterday.
I was thinking of getting a veiled chameleon but I first wanted to find out if theyre easy to look after.Im living in Joburg and want to leave it in an outdoor aviary in the hot months,is this possible :?:
And do they HAVE TO eat crickets?cant i give them mealworms,beeltes and silkworms?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Re: need info on veiled

Postby Urucone » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Ales
Chameleons is'nt the easiest nor the most difficult herp to keep, rule nr.1 They need running water, may I suggest a waterfall from exo terra, it's expensive but very usefull, rule nr 2is you need a UVB light 5%, you can feed them all kinds of grubs, pienkies, mealworms, crickets, roaches and even salad, they have to get calsium and alot of it, outdoor aviary can work if you can provide a suitable basking spot and running water aswell as you going to have the problem feeding it certain foods on the other hand you will have the best UVB light in the world aswell as free food if you provide bait (not suggested because you get pesticides and poisend bugs) but it happens once in a blue moon.
You can reach me on 012 329 8965 ask for christo.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:10 am

Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info.Should i get a very young chameleons or an older one and where can i get cheap ones around Joburg?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby QtCreaCha » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:58 am

Hi Ales, a younger one is always better HOWEVER... If purchasing a "cheap one" is in anyway a factor, I would strongly reconsider the idea of purchasing one at all until you are 100% comfortable in doing so. Yes, ofcourse we all always looking for the best deals but just something to consider, the purchasing of the actual chameleon is probably your least "expensive" part of the whole excercise! You need to ensure you have a decent set up, size, lighting, proper temps and humidity, calcium and vit supplements. The food is also something you can't jippo, you will need to ensure a variety of FRESH food is always at hand. Wild caught insects and beetles are way too risky. Also, the time factor, chameleons, like most reptiles, need far more attention and work than most domestic animals.

Having said this, if all of the above are already in order and have been considered already, GO FOR IT!! You will never be sorry! At least Im not, I still enjoy mine like the very first day I purchased them. It's awesome!

Good Luck!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks,will give it a bit more thought then
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleons » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:28 pm

When buying a chameleon check out the animal and the source carefully. Is the animal in good condition? Does the supplier know what they are talking about? There are some excellent pet shops who will give superb advice... and there are some that are not. Don't buy just because its cheap; the costs come later!

Read everything you can before you buy. QtCreaCha is quite correct about her advice that the cost of the animal is only a part - a small part - of the expense. If you scrimp on any of the things she's mentioned you will end up at the vet with a sick animal. Supplements and UV cannot be avoided; cages should allow good ventilation. If you do decide to use a waterfall (not my choice) then it must be scrupulously cleaned, almost daily to avoid bacterial issues. Think about the food you will offer; can you get it? Do you want to? It will need to be balanced and gut loaded crickets are the simplest.

When the weather is right we keep Veiled in an aviary and they thrive. With the natural sunlight there is probably no need for a basking light with the risks of outside electricity. Watch the night temperatures. Don't let it stay outside if it is below 10c. At the moment it is too cold for keeping any species outdoors (you said you lived in Joburg). If you are bringing it inside you must be prepared, with all the right equipment, which may not tie in with what you were saying about the Flap neck.

As QtCreaCha said, if you can do it properly, then go for it! Awesome animals.

There is a care sheet on our web site and you are welcome to email for advice or comments.
David
http://www.sa-chameleons.com
See photos of Malaysian insects on my Facebook page: Exotic Insects
Breeding Insects as feeder food by David Haggett now available from Amazon
Exotic Chameleons in South Africa, care and breeding by David Haggett also available from Amazon
Chameleons
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)