Repti sol for Chameleons

Repti sol for Chameleons

Postby dannylomb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Hello all,

Can anybody give some feedback about the quality of repti sol 5.0 uvb tubes.

It`s probably the same as all tubes are made by the same factory.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Repti sol for Chameleons

Postby Chameleon Company » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Is the company repti sol? never heard of it.

I highly recommend Zoo Med (Backing this statement up on scientific articles) as being the best reptile lighting available on the market internationally.
2:2 Pseudaspis cana
1:2 Dasypeltis scabra

And yes they are all on permit.
Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:56 pm

The two main brands on the market is Zoo med as CC said and my favourite Exo terra, any of these two will meet your requirements.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:59 pm

If I'm not mistaken Repti sol is a Repti Zoo product, it's one of your cheaper products on the market, me personally don't trust it, I'll rather add a extra R100 and buy one of the above mentioned lights.
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dannylomb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Personally I prefer Exo terra I currently use 10.0 uvb tubes and the night glo lights.

I just thought it would be worth it to find out what other keepers think of repti sol I saw it at reptilecity and I must confess that at that time I was thinking with my wallet.

This is probably the wrong place to ask what feedback can you guys give on the spiral types for a enclosure with the size 90 x 45 x 45 housing a single adult bearded dragon. I had one in a 120 x 30 x 30 and I read that it's bad for the reptiles and ripped it out and replaced it with a tube, but yet every reptile retailer uses it with apparent success and all basic kits also include it.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:57 pm

I'll probably going to get bashed saying this but, I use spirals and I haven’t had one case where my animals turned blind or looks irritated, I only use tubes in my bigger enclosures.Tube lights isn't that much more expensive only the first time around when you have to buy a ballist but I have to confess; spirals are allot more convenient.
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dannylomb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:55 am

I have not tested it on many animals but some of my dragons were doing the one eye open and one closed thing.
they were also very inactive.
The treatment for this is quite easy change the light keep it off for a day and provide only natural sunlight for 2 days.

But I have read that it differs from animal if the spiral works or not.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 am

If you want to use a cheaper light then balance this out by ensuring your animals get direct unfiltered sunlight for at least a decent few hours every week. A cage built out of shade cloth is not expensive and the animals can spend a few hours a day in dappled sunlight which will boost their UV levels to adequate amounts.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby dannylomb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:23 am

@Bushviper I just wanted to find out everybod sells them I would never use a different light just because it's cheaper.

I use only exo terra and my reptiles get a decent amount of natural unfiltered sunlight.

I'm a bit of a exo terra ho I even have the feeding tongs just because I had to have it.

I don't want to change the topic here if I should use natural vegetation for chameleon's is ficus suitable or is it better to use artificial vegetation with dried out branches normally for sale at pet stores.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Urucone wrote:I'll probably going to get bashed saying this but, I use spirals and I haven’t had one case where my animals turned blind or looks irritated, I only use tubes in my bigger enclosures.Tube lights isn't that much more expensive only the first time around when you have to buy a ballist but I have to confess; spirals are allot more convenient.

No bashing haha, i see your point, for hatchling i also favour spiral lamps.

To the guy who posts here, please use 5.0 uvb and not 10.0 uvb, its just specially designed for chameleons (tropical lizards) and is more appropriate in terms of output. But then again a 10.0 with a very well venmtilated cage that allows uvb in excess to escape would be fine too i suppose, according to internationals.

Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:54 pm

dannylomb wrote:I have not tested it on many animals but some of my dragons were doing the one eye open and one closed thing.
they were also very inactive.
The treatment for this is quite easy change the light keep it off for a day and provide only natural sunlight for 2 days.

But I have read that it differs from animal if the spiral works or not.

What ubv light were you using when this was happening?

Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chameleon Company » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Bushviper wrote:If you want to use a cheaper light then balance this out by ensuring your animals get direct unfiltered sunlight for at least a decent few hours every week. A cage built out of shade cloth is not expensive and the animals can spend a few hours a day in dappled sunlight which will boost their UV levels to adequate amounts.

I agree, but using a cheap light could be more damaging then not using one at all. I recommend you put your chameleons outside in unfiltered light. A recent Journal article states that Chamaeleo africanus only needs a minimum of 6 hours unfiltered direct sunlight per week and there will be not biological degradation in the animal overtime.

So invest in a NETTED CAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chameleon Company
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dannylomb » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:05 pm

@chameleon company that was a repti glo 10.0 compact I have to confess this was a breeding pair I had to have but the cage had to go with them, for once in my life I took the pet shop`s word for it that the light is 2 month`s old but a powder residue was coming from the light when you touch it.
I have had good results with the tube type so I just replaced the light and all is sorted.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)