Zoomed Powersun with Veiled Chameleons

Zoomed Powersun with Veiled Chameleons

Postby xray3 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:07 pm

I would like to know if any of you have experience with using one of Zoomed's Powersun 160W Flood lamps with Veiled Chameleons. Our male Veiled is kept in the biggest Flexarium (183cm high) made by Exo-Terra which is heavily planted. I would love to get some input or advise on this matter from you guys.
xray3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:23 pm

I have not used that specific light but it should be fine.

There is no substitute for real sunlight so when you get the opportunity put him in direct sunlight for a few hours at a time.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby xray3 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:56 am

I have tried out the 160 watt Powersun mercury vapour light, but it does not seem to produce as much heat as expected. The temperature at about 30cm away from the bulb is only about 29 degrees C (under ambient room temperature conditions of 20 degrees C). This distance is far inside the unsafe working distance for UVB exposure as specified by the manufacturer, and the temperature produced at this distance is to low for the basking spot for a Veiled. I suppose this light will only really produce enough heat in a closed up/glass enclosure (not a screen enclosure) and can only be used as a good source for UVB while still having a spot heating light or lights. It is a bit sad as the manufacturer sells it as a combined heat and UVA/UVB light. Did anybody else have the same experience?
xray3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pix101 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:55 pm

I'm looking into getting one of these MV lamps... I did some reading up and I'm sold... If you have a big cage this is the way to go...

You are saying that you used the flood light type. From my research I found that the Mega-Ray (make/brand of MV lamps) is the best, as it focuses heat and UVB more so than the flood types...

Have a look at this site, full of very useful information regarding any type of UV lights:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourintro.htm

Would you mind telling how much the 160W Powersun was?

Thanks!
pix101
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xray3 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:50 pm

I paid about R600 for the one I got. I was also sold on this light, but now I am very disappointed. It seems like you can only use this as a replacement/addition to the UV lights in the enclosure, you will still need to use heat lamps as well (in a scree type of enclosure anyway). Don't get me wrong, the UV output is excellent, but the heat output sucks. I never saw the brand (Mega-Ray, from T-rex if I remember right) anywhere here in SA, but yes, it does sound better.
xray3
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Zoomed Powersun with Veiled Chameleons

Postby merlinator » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:40 am

Where do you find them? I have been looking all over, but cant seem to find them in this country.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than
what it might appear to others that what you were or might have
been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared
to them to be otherwise
merlinator
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:11 am

merlinator wrote:Where do you find them? I have been looking all over, but cant seem to find them in this country.

This thread is over two years old ;)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Leos r gr8 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 pm

@ merlinator, you have a PM
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Veiled chameleons (Chamaeleo calyptratus)