Liberia - Goe Fantro

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Re: Liberia - Goe Fantro

Postby Eyelash » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Thats awesome man...They are my fav. snakes,my female is around 2.5m now and can be quite a handful !

It's funny that you have not found a male yet ?

Regards.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Bitis nasicornis = WOW colouration!!!! Looks awesome!
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viridovipera » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:52 am

So awesome! If I were still in Cote d'Ivoire I would love to come pay you a visit. I'm jealous of all the Blanding's tree snakes, the hyperolids and of COURSE the Bitis!!! Awesome finds!

I just realized that I forgot to respond to your question about Atheris. We found them in seemingly "random" parts of the forest -- not concentrated near water or any other notable physiographic/ecological feature. They were all found in or near pretty open primary forest. Two were on the ground (one crawling across a road that cut through the forest, another crawling along the underbrush near some saplings) and the other was resting on a liana that was attached to a medium sized tree about 2m off the ground. I think we just got lucky. Now that the rainy season is on I think you may get some more luck yourself. Keep the awesome report coming!

-Alex
Viridovipera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:36 am

Sico wrote:Aplogies for the lack of posts, I have had some computer troubles, I promise to catch up! :)
I caught this beautiful little gal last night on her way up one of the palm trees in the camp. Definately Lamprophis, but i am not sure which one it is. If any of you have any ideas, shout...
She is a pretty olive gray, with distinct facial markings, and a pale cream stripe down the middle of her belly, 209 ventral scales, 48 paired subcaudals, entire anal, Midbody scale count of 21. There are no markings on her flanks at all.

so any ideas on whether this is a L.fuliginosus, L.virgatus, L.lineatus or L.mentalis or something else? ?

Sorry for dragging up an old post but I've just seen these images and I'm a little excited - I'm 100% confident that these are probably some of the only images of Boaedon virgatus that exist on the internet - certainly the only ones I can find - fits the virgatus description perfectly.

From: "Remarks on the geographical distribution of Reptiles, with descriptions of several species supposed to be new, and corrections of former papers. By Edward Hallowell, M.D. 1854.

Coleopeltis virgata
"Sp. character.- Color uniform, brown above, reddish upon the sides, and to a certain extent upon the abdominal scuta; middle portion of abdominal scuta straw color; two narrow yellowish vittae upon each side of the head, the superior passing immediately over the eye; scales smooth, 23 rows; entire length 1 foot 8.5 inches, (fr.) length of tail 3.5 inches; abdom. scuta 192, subcaudal 55.
Habitat.- Liberia, west coast of Africa.
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for that interesting update, it's good to know people find it helpful to post all the critters I come across :)
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Exotic reptile observation records