Puffie in Zambia

Accounts and photos of non-captive reptiles in their natural habitat outside of South Africa. Try to record with your account details such as time of day/night, temperature, weather conditions, lunar cycle, sex, rough age of reptile, and so on.

View Gallery

Puffie in Zambia

Postby Jen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 pm

My friend took this pic at South Luangwa National Park in Northern Zambia. I think that the colouring is quite different to our local specimens (darker with more black), so I thought I'd share:
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puffie in Zambia

Postby froot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Pretty snake, the 'chevrons' are broader than the ones we get here.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Ryuu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:48 pm

Awesome Looking Snake!

In Thabazimbi the Puff Adders are quite dark as well With less Color

I have even found some that looked like gaboon's but only in coloration some had green in them.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bizzle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:38 pm

I live and work just across the escarpment from the Luangwa Valley in Zambia (Kasanka National Park). Our puffies look similar to the ones in South Africa but are uncommon here, perhaps due to moisture and waterlogged soils, not sure. Ive found that there is incredible variation in puff adders, even within localized populations. Awesome snakes! If you had showed me a picture of the back half of this one I would have guessed Gaboon Adder I reckon!
Bizzle
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic reptile observation records