Breeding season went better this year

Breeding season went better this year

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 am

Well compared to last year, results were a lot better!

Me and my gf used a new female this year with the same stud male from last year. These are the parents:
First off a normal male who is about 1.5m now
Then the 2 females both anerys, one also being het for amel.
First female a very nice and light colour
And then the darker and new female

The first female laid 21 eggs. And at day 62 they started hacthing - 22 of them :D . In total 18 normal het anery and 4 albino het anerys
Here are some pics

Then second female really surprised me. Not in the amount she layed, but in the size - she layed 11 eggs one of which went bad and at day 64 they started hatching. They were probably double the size of the first clutch and had hacthed out nearly 2 weeks later.
From the pairing we could normals, a few with some really abbarent patterning and 2 possible hypos. I say this because even after shed the bellies were very faded and they are very red comapred to the rest
Anyway some pics:
These were taken just before the first shed, I need to get some updated pics as these are from a month ago
I love the little spots on this one and she has started forming more
The above 2 happened to be a pair. I know that abbarentness isn't really hereditary, but I am going to pair them up anyway to see if I am luck and can produce some abbarent anerys in the f2 since these guys are both het anery

Here is a comparison pic of the first clutch to the second to see size difference. For their first meal the second clutch were fed 4 day old pinks

Just to note, I doubt the pattern "mutations" are from incubation temps as the 2 clutches were incubated in the same tub same setup
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeding season went better this year

Postby gekosin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:33 am

You had twins come of of an egg?? How common is that?
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 am

Hey man

Congrats on the results! All the hatchlings look great.

The aberrant hatchlings are what is called Aztec. It's a selectively bred trait, so if you breed your together, the second generation will have even more Aztec pattern, but if you breed it to a normal pattern, you will lose it completely. So definitely keep that Aztec par back for future breeding.

Apologies for being pedantic, but your 18 first hatclings would then be Normal het Anery possible het Amel and your second batch would also be Normal possible het Amel.

Well done.

Guess your one Anery female is het for Snow and your Normal is het for Amel. Soem pleasant surprises there.

Will be interesting to see if your lighter babies turn out to be Hypos or not.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:15 pm

It will be interesting to see if they are hypos, their colours certainly are outstanding compared to the rest

I thought of saying the possible het stuff, but it sounds like too much of a mouthful. I agree though that the male is het amel and the one anery het amel.

If the other female is het hypo then that would mean the male is also het hypo which is a strange combination (het hypo and amel)

One way to prove out the aztec pattern I guess is to see if it happens next year again in the clutch. I would say 75 percent of the babies from the second clutch had some form of broken patterning with 3 having very noticable broken patterns. They seemed to all have developed more of it after shed so I am keen to see what happens with the 2 holdbacks after shed one of which may be a possible hypo

I have always liked the tessera corn so an aztec corn is just one step away haha
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Haha, I doubt there are any Tessera Corns in RSA.

Aztec is a very difficult morph to predict coz it's not recessive like the most others, so who know, you might not get a single one the next clutch.

Post some pics post-shed so we can all check them out
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby @ndy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 am

Wow some really nice corns there!

I especially like the second female, I need to get me an anery Corn.

Congrats on the babies and good luck with those to holdbacks the look stunning!
http://www.reptitracker.co.za

0.1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli
1.1.4 Thamnophis marcianus
0.1.0 Lampropeltis getula getula
1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula californiae
@ndy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 am

Just an update. The day after I had sold all the corns from the first 2 clutches the 3rd clutch decided to hatch, haha.

So far 3 albinos (het anery) and 8 normals (het anery, poss het albino). I still need to get updated pics up, but my camera has been messing me around.

While I am relieved there are no more to hatch I am also sad becuase there is nothing more to look forward to, until next season again
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 am

So I finally got around to taking pics of the little boogers, freshly shed and had just eaten too. all 11 ate no problem

First some of the normals:

And then some of the 3 albinos

Hope you enjoyed
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:36 am

Some healthy looking specimens! Congrats
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)