My new breeding pair.

My new breeding pair.

Postby SteveC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Hey everyone.

im steve and im from durbs. about 10 years ago I was involved in this awesome hobby with a great collection. anyway due to my situation I had to give up my collection.. Now 10 years later im ready to start up again.

This is a new breeding pair. The male is the bigger one and although sold as amel.. I think he would be classed as a sunglow. please help me with this. Female is gravid now so will be expecting eggs soon.

I also think the male is overweight so please advice on his diet would be appreciated to get him to optimal weight.

These pics were taken at the previous owners house and have recently been placed in their own vivs.

Anyway cool to be back.

Let me know what you think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BBM 7C6FAC74
SteveC
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My new breeding pair.

Postby SteveC » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Here is a pic of the male having a stretch. Rather Large chap.

steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BBM 7C6FAC74
SteveC
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 am

I would not worry about the males shape. If you start to starve them then they store the fat so its counter productive. Just reduce the size of each meal. Two mice once every ten days will have him slimmed down by next years breeding season.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby SteveC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks BV . will definately do that. would you say he is a normal amel?
BBM 7C6FAC74
SteveC
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Probably not. Looks like he has something else in him. I have lost count of the newer morphs so somebody else would be more qualified to tell you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Looks like he might be a Creamsicle.

But if he is not a Creamsicle, judging by the lack of white borders to the saddles, he could be called a Sunglow.

You have to also keep in mind, even if he is a Sunglow, a Sunglow is nothing more than a line-bred Amel, so it doesn't carry any other genes. People often think Sunglows are Hypo Amels, but this is not the case.

Nice snakes in good condition!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Chantel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 am

Hi Steve

Glad you are back in the hobby ... now you have to start filling up all those empty cages, lol!

Ideal line-bred Sunglows are bright orange, with no white borders. I have seen lighter coloured sunglows though, and considering your male doesn't have any white in him, it probably is fair to classify him as a Sunglow.

With regards to helping your male lose some weight, don't put him on a drastic diet (as BV mentioned). Rather reduce the size of his meals, and feed him only every 2 weeks. That way he will gradually lose weight.
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)