Upset

Upset

Postby Jev001 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:07 pm

Hey guys I was away these past 5 days and when i got home I had found 6 eggs in my cage that were all dried out they were very hard. What is the cause of this? are they infertiles or what I hadnt put vermaculite in the tank but the female looks like she is going to shed again what does this indicate

Thnks
Jev001
Jev001
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jev001 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:08 pm

They are normal cornsnakes by the way
Jev001
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:38 pm

How big are they? When did she stop eating?
Where did she lay the eggs? What did the eggs look like?

I know you say dried out and very hard. They might be infertile, or she just lay them all over the place because there wasn't a good laying site. I've seen a ratsnake that I didn't know was gravid deposit infertile eggs all over the cage though. They looked like little pebbles, way smaller and yellower than a fertile egg would have been.

If there isn't a deposit site available, the snake will become very restless, looking for a place to lay them. Eventually she'll just lay them anywhere.

Are you sure there aren't any still in her?
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Dentech » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:34 am

In this heat, snake eggs will dry up within a day or two if they are just laying on the substrate of a cage (fertile as well as infertile). A female will eventually lay the eggs anywhere in the cage if you do not provide a nest box in time. Cornsnakes usually lay within 8-14 days after their pre-lay shed (in my experience) and they will shed again within a week or two after laying.
Dentech
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)