KING Snake gone AWOL

KING Snake gone AWOL

Postby Da Twista » Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Howdy!

Just an experience I would like to share with you guys.

I stay in Cape Town, recently went and visited my mom in the Eastern Cape for a couple of days. Was nice but got back and two of my Cal kings managed to escape from their enclosures. I Still have no idea how they both managed this as I've checked every little thing in the enclosure and I still believe it's impossible. Which is also weird, I've had both now for about a year now and they have never managed to get out.

Anyway, my wife is still getting accustomed to having snakes in the house, she atleast goes near my enclosure set up and looks at them. But she is still a bit frightened of them but I think it's starting to settle with her rather nicely. The other day she found a Gaboon Viper to be one of the nicest colored snakes available. I was rather shocked to hear here say this.

So I searched this place high and low wanting to find my dear snakes, with no luck, late that evening I decided to call it a day. Just then while sitting i my lounge I heard a screech come from our bedroom, ran through the door and what did I find? Her holding the one king snake, frozen stiff :D The room light was off but the TV was on and she saw what she thought was a pen on the floor which she picked up. Without realizing it, as she stood up she then found out it was a snake. It was rather funny, as this is the first time she has actually held a snake. She reckons she won't do it again, but I still have another cal king loose in my house somewhere. I'm hoping she finds it for me.

Rather odd though, I searched this place everywhere for the snake, I still cannot fathom the thought of not being able to find it yet it was out in the open when the one was eventually found.

I'm a little concerned about the other one through, it's nearly two weeks and not even a sign it's in the house. Well it's winter, our house gets rather cold so I presume it's found a spot and busy hibernating now.

Just thought I'd share.
Da Twista
SA Reptiles Member

Re: KING Snake gone AWOL

Postby Kuro » Mon May 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Snakes have a way of getting into places where you seldom might think. My brothers boa once escaped and she was 1.2m, she climbed into a small desk drawer. Just look where you don't think they would be.
Kuro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm

You don't find Gaboons in Cape Town ey. If it was in fact a viper, I'm sure its safe to say it was a Puff Adder.

I'm sure he/she hasn't wandered too far. Snakes are master escape artists. What substrate are you keeping them on? Any loose particles can get stuck in the tracks of the sliding doors which leave the smallest gap which can be just big enough for a snake to push its nose through.

Don't give up though, no matter how long it takes. Stranger things have happened.

Good luck.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm

My one house snake escaped this weekend, found her in my PC...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm

My adult corn used to escape on a regular basis and I have wooden floors that he managed to get into(just couldn't catch him as he slipped in) he disapeared for about week before popping up in the electrical cupboard.
He has also gotten outside the house and the neighbor had him for a few days before he got back to me. I have also found under couches and in my yard but I always get him back somehow, I've had him for 13years now.

So I am pretty sure your little one will pop up sooner or later.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon May 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Whoops didn't read the post properly! My bad. Glad she's coming around!
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 pm

My new 1.4 meter male Boa I got from Reynard is still missing :(. It's no where in my room, I think it went out my bathroom window and into the complex. The body corporate wanted to hold a meeting with me and discuss what I keep. Hopefully he will turn up just like your cali did.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GOM » Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 am

Snakes are the best escape artists ever!!! I think this has happened to the majority of us in the past. I also had a couple of instances where my corns have escaped, but was recovered. And I also had a ball or two escape their enclosures as well, but since my first incident I have gotten valuable tip from Bushviper..... Keep your room snake proof if possible. This makes a lot of sense and I have been doing that and I am way more relaxed when I find an enclosure empty. I know they cannot go any further than the room.

I also realize it is not always easy or possible to make a snake room, but if at all possible, I would highly recommend that. I hope you guys find your beloved pets, as I was worried sick when mine got out.... Luckily found them all safe and sound!!! Good luck!!!
On the comeback trail!!!! Slowly but surely!!!
1.1.0 Het Pied PR
2.6.0.Normal PR
1.0.0 Pewter PR
0.1.0 Het Clown PR
1.0.0 Lemon Pastel PR
GOM
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 am

Not knowing the history of these snakes I may even make a guess as to say the one cali king may have eaten the other? it is in their nature after all
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue May 21, 2013 1:57 pm

I am also in the process of making an snake proof room. If you take the hobby serious at all or have lost an valuable snake you will see that the precautions are way cheaper and has less embarrassing consequences.

Having an "snakeroom" isn't possible for everyone but here are the steps I'm taking.
At the door's bottom you get that piece of aluminum with the rubber on that is used to block rain out on the house's front or back door.
With the windows you install the mesh that is used to stop flies like on farm houses.
These two things will make the room into an cage and will save you lots of heartache.

The more serious okes should have an spring on the door and also have it under lock and key.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Snake room = not possible for me! But I still always keep doors and windows closed when I leave my room.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Tue May 21, 2013 2:22 pm

I should probably add most of my snakes cannot escape cause their cages have locks on!
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

I went and bought locks for my tanks but the gap between the glass is not suitable for the locks :(

It always sucks when a snake escapes! Good luck finding it!
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Tue May 21, 2013 2:39 pm

I lost my radiated ratsnake female a couple of months ago after being distracted while i was busy with her :evil: luckily after 4 months my wife called me at work in a panic, apparently the maid found her lying smack bang in the middle of the bar floor, i could only get home much later so my dear wife have to try and round her up, which turn into quite an ordeal for my wife, as my snake wanted to "attack" them every time they try to come close, eventually they got her in a box and when i got home i simply took her out by hand and asked, is this the snake that tried to kill all of you's, but she's so calm she would not hurt a fly? Needless to say the maid was happy that the rogue snake was no longer loose in the house. :lol:
2x Albino Radiated Rat Snakes - Izzy & Yoka
2x Morelia viridis Nakita & Little one
1x Python regius Spider
1x Python regius Cinnamon
1x Python regius Het Albino
1x Python regius Yellow belly
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue May 21, 2013 6:05 pm

gekosin wrote:I went and bought locks for my tanks but the gap between the glass is not suitable for the locks :(

It always sucks when a snake escapes! Good luck finding it!

There is an lock slide that doesn't have the bump near the end of the slide.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Return to King snakes and milk snakes (Lampropeltis sp.)