Help with water balloon burm!

Help with water balloon burm!

Postby Ales » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Hey all

My 1m burmese python over the last 4 days had formed a swelling the last third of his body.

First I thought it was just from his big meal of 2 chicks a week ago,but just now when I picked him up I sussed him out and realized that the swelling was soft,well the body was soft,not like a solid was in there.

After a small shake I heard water! lots of water,at least a quarter cup.
I soaked him 2 days ago to make it easier to defecate,and am soaking him right now,but why is he full of water and how do I help him?
Should I go to a vet tomorrow?
Ive never seen anything like it.

Thanks
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help with water balloon burm!

Postby Ales » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Sorry I meant three quarter cup
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Not to hijack the thread, There was a guy a while back at the petstore with a king also with a huge bulge almost in the middle of it's body, he was feeding it chicks, I don't know but could there be a connection between the king and the burm, maybe the beak or feet damages the stomach lining causing it to bulge out, I'm wondering due to the fact that both snakes ate chicks.

@Ales - The king is still alive and eats well, I would say the king is healthy except that there is a huge bulge, not saying it's the same thing but it's sounds like it could be.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Urucone you right! When I wanted to get rats last week the man didn't have and instead I gave the burm 2 dead day old chicks.I totally forgot to mention that.

There must be something about them that causes this water bloating.Its the first time I've fed any of my snakes chicks.

On the bright side after a 1 hour soak my burm let loose and out came all the water(pee?)
He looks ok now.The soaking water went from clear to yellow in 2 seconds :)
I will ask around to other people that I know feed chicks.

Thanks for the help
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glasbyb » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:20 am

I don't know if this is the definate reason but I know when feeding day old chicks to birds of prey it is best to remove the stomach of the chick. For the first two days the chick will still have yolk in the stomach and this goes "off" within a few hours of the chick dying. The result of this "off" yolk can cause some severe illnesses.
"A field without a snake is like a kiss without a squeeze"
glasbyb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)