Burmese in water

Burmese in water

Postby snake kid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:08 am

Hi all

I don't know if it's a big problem but my 1.8m female Burmese python keeps on climbing into her water bowl. I know some snakes like to soak but her cage temperature is 18-20C and water temperature is 9.5C but she still stays in the water. I have taken her out and then after she heats up a bit she then just goes back to the water. For now I have taken out her water but would like to have some second opinions.

thanks for any help possible.
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Burmese in water

Postby Westley Price » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 am

As you said, some snake just like to soak, especially when the cage's humidity is too low or they are going into pre-shed.

Do you have a hygrometer to measure the humidity inside the cage? It should be in the ball park of 65%-70%.

Your cage seems a tad cold. Burmese do not brumate as cold as other species, and a drop to 25 degrees is sufficient (night time 20-21 degrees).

I dont keep Burmese so possibly some who keeps and breed them on a regular basis can give some more insight.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby snake kid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks Westley.

I do not have one still need to order one but I mist the cages 3 times a week. The temperatures that I gave was taken this morning and it was really cold as I live in Oudtshoorn but it is usually above the 20c.
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 am

Is the 18 to 20 degrees the warmest the cage gets or is this only at night or in the morning?Is there no hot spot during the day that is in the 30's?
I also don't keep Burms but I think 18 to 20 degrees is too cold, you need to get at least a nice hot spot during the day.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby TonyK » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 am

Snakes with mites will often stay in their water bowls.Have a look, the dead mites will look like litte pieces of pepper in the bottom of the water bowl.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:07 pm

As I said it was taken in the early morning so it was very cold, and I took the cage average I have low wattage heat pads in one corner of the cage and a basking light with an average temp of 28C depending on the temperature outside but it doesn't drop below 24C on the warm side, then my cold side is only 15 to 18 degrees. the reason for this is it is a huge cage 1.6m (l) !.5m (w) 2.2m (h) so the cold side is quite cold. But the snake can choose where the temperature is just right. The cage also has some shelves and some of the shelves also have heat pads on them.

she had some mites a while back but I used Frontline on her and now they are no more, and next week I will be doing the follow up spray. So maybe it could be them but not sure just wanted some second opinions.
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:02 pm

I think its mites too. You need to remove the water for 2 days after you have treated with frontline anyway. The cage is way too cold. It needs to be hotter. Either get more heating pads in there or build her a smaller cage which you can heat properly. You dont need a cage that is 2.2 metres high.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Yea I would say mites aswell. I have a cage 1.8 x 800 x 650 for my red tails. This cage stays at 26 degrees. With two heating pads spaced appart. Place the water on the heatpad aswell to get the water warmer and boost humidity but place a second water bowl on the cold side.

My redtails are in the water 60% of the day. But it is because the water is nice and warm. They have heating pads scattered in one 3rd of the cage so more than enough heat.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake kid » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I have now installed more lights and heating pads checked the temperature now and its up to 31C so I opened one of the windows will check again when it is colder tonight and early tomorrow morning.
I have checked for mites and there is none that I can see and I have sprayed the snakes with Frontline so she probably just likes the water.
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Dont Spray the snake with front line!!!! Just put it on a cloth and make the snake slither through.
Lights dry out the air. I would recommend more heat pads.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:46 pm

You are supposed to remove the water for at least 24 hours if you have treated with frontline.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby snake kid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:25 pm

I did that, It was about a week ago that I sprayed the Frontline.
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)