Rescued water monitor

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Rescued water monitor

Postby Bernice » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm

I was called out today at about 1:00 to come and get a 'scary big lizard' from Irene Glen private estate by the St Georges Hotel...

I found this poor guy, with hessian string tied around his tail, and snagged in the shrubbery so he couldn't move more than a meter in any direction... he is just skin pulled over bones!

Please no comments on my 'unorthodox' capture technique... :roll: I had to jump him quick after I untied him, or I would have had to go down the storm water pipe he was running for after him! :lol:

Just look at those ribs sticking out :(

The string on his tail

He was almost too big for my crate!

A quick shot showing his damaged face and the string on his tail

Getting vet care at Ondersterpoort

The instant they put him in the bath he started gulping water as if there was no tomorrow... poor baby

He was given a dose of sedative, antibiotics, de-wormer and vitamin B... and left to settle in for the night... tomorrows menu... Chicken livers!

Updates on poor Gustav to follow...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rescued water monitor

Postby Bernice » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:27 pm

I had to add this... Its Gustav's care chart, the middle column is for the type of injury the animal is being treated for... for those who dont know... 'FUBAR' stands for 'F@#%ed Up Beyond All Recognition' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Sheesh!

That guy was in poor shape good on you!

i wonder how long it had been there?
Hopefully it wont loose that tail section from the string tied around it?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Eyelash » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Great job guy's/girls haha...
Hope you and Dr.E gets him up and going in no time !
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Let us know how he gets on please Bernice. Poor little guy. I wonder how long he's been going around like that? Do you think some subhuman hurt him like this? How could his face get into that state!
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:28 pm

@ Fooble: The string hadn't caused any real damage yet, he is already missing about a third of his tail but this is an old injury and has heeled over, but it looks like it may have been caused by being tied up with string previously... :smt011

@Eyelash: :-D doing our best!

@Boadicea: The grounds manager there said that he heard a rumor that there was a lady in that estate that had a monitor lizard tied up in her yard... so it is possible that this one was a 'pet' that escaped, the facial injuries are what one would expect from a lizard frantic to get out of a wire or mesh cage... needles to say what I would do tho this lady if I get my hands on her, I cant repeat in polite company... :smt013 The grounds manager has agreed that if he ever confirms this rumor that I will be the 2nd person to know, and that if this animal was in fact hers and she starts asking questions as to its whereabouts... he never saw it, he's never met me, has never heard of such a thing in his life... :cool:

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 pm

She is not allowed by law to keep it and in any event keeping it in that state is a violation under the Animal Cruelty Act for which she could be prosecuted. So if she ever asks after it tell the grounds manager to tell her she is going to be prosecuted for cruelty to animals and illegally keeping an indigenous one without a permit! Would love to tie her up and leave her in the sun for a few days without water :smt013
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:35 am

Well Done Bernice. As for your unorthodox catching methods, I think I can say that all of us at some stage has had to adapt to the situation.
Unorthodox is good, I doubt that you would have been able to catch him using any other method.

I sincerely hope he makes it.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 am

Unorthodox catching method? I would have done the same and then grabbed the neck straight after that. Nothing wrong with what you did.

I am so glad that Onderstepoort do take on charity cases too. How can anyone that cares about animals do that to a creature?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Argh!! Why do people do stuff like that!! It makes me so mad!!!!!! Thanks for rescueing him Bernice, and a HUGE thanks to Dr. Elliot at Onderstepoort!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:48 pm

This is just shameful...and I don't mean your catching methods!!!! How can someone do that to an animal?? It is beyond me the cruelty some people can stoop to.

Good on you for rescuing him and the people at the vet.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:16 pm

You go Bernice, show the girls on the site how to do it!

I've wrangled one that size before, much better condition but still, that's not for sissies.

Well done, you make us proud ;)
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bernice » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 pm

You are all so kind! :oops:

I had a quick chat with Dr. E and the full extent of his problems are still becoming clear... he only weighs 6kg (ouch), and he has pneumonia... but he is still trying to kill everybody and that is a good sign and we are still optimistic about Gustav.

Will talk to her again on Monday...

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi there! quick update...

Gustav is apparently being a royal pain :lol: he has decided that mice, chicks and eggs are not good enough for his sophisticated pallet... and the only thing he is currently eating is chicken livers!

But he is still giving Dr. Elliott a daily work out and is beating up on the other staff as well... so far, so good!

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:23 am

Well once he gets his energy back I think he will be eating everything again. Glad it looks like he is getting better.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Indigenous lizards