Research A. plumbeus (East London)

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Research A. plumbeus (East London)

Postby Adriaan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:36 am

Research focus: Ecology, systematics and conservation of legless fossorial lizards (Acontiinae, Scincinae).

Hi there I’m from the University of the Free State and we are conducting research on Acontias plumbeus throughout their distributional range. We have already successfully sampled specimens from Mpumalanga and will be heading to East London next. I would like to appeal to the herpers from East London to pm me if they happen to find any specimens from around that area.

Objective 1
To review the morphology-based taxonomies of the fossorial skink Acontias breviceps, Acontias plumbeus and Acontias gracilicauda using DNA sequence data, with complementary diagnoses using multivariate statistical procedures applied to morphometric and meristic data.

Objective 2
To re-appraise the morphological diagnostic features of taxa in cases where morphological and molecular diagnoses are at variance, with the aim of improving the accuracy of taxonomic keys.

Objective 3
To study the ecology (reproductive biology, movement patterns, social organization, diet, parasitology) of taxa, with the aim of improving our knowledge of their general biology.

Summary of recent findings
1. Five cryptic lineages discovered in Acontias meleagris represent a spectacular increase in diversity in this species.
2. The lack of genetic resolution found among taxa in the genus Microacontias and the maintenance of discrete colour variation in spite of apparent ongoing geneflow among the taxa
3. The discovery of Microacontias lineatus lineatus in the Okavango Delta area, a first record for Botswana, and a substantial range extension
4. Substantial genetic divergence between the Botswana specimen and conspecifics from Namibia and South Africa, tentatively suggesting that it constitutes a new species
5. The higher taxonomic diversity found in the species Scelotes kasneri and Scelotes gronovii on the basis of the DNA sequence data which has further implications for the conservation of these Red Data Book taxa.

Regards
Adriaan
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Research A. plumbeus (East London)

Postby BOOGY » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Hey boet het julle toe niks gekry daar by die dam nie? Hoe was die res van julle trip toe?
Burger
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fuscusV2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Hey, wow... interesting, just recently (a week ago) we came across a squashed specimen in the road at Dorchester Heights. I don't see them often but the last one I saw was also in Dorchester heights, let me send you a map of the locality in a bit - found on a hillside in riverine forest under a rock - he was pretty quick and nearly disappeared in the sandy soil under some roots... the same kind of place I'd expect to see natal black snakes. I guess I don't often find myself in their common habitat since I can count the number I've seen here on one hand. I'll make an effort to look for one next time I'm out hunting.
fuscusV2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fuscusV2 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:56 pm

fuscusV2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Hey Adriaan, the pics I told you about.
All from Ngodwana
Big specimen Tot Lenth 525mm

Pre shed?

Predation by A. concolor

Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 am

Awe Burger we were at the dam but unfortunately didn’t find any. Specimens were found at Matsulu, Hermansburg, Rhenosterkop and Jeppe’s Reef. We still need more specimens from Mpumalanga so if you happen to find any do let me know. That Purple-glossed must have been at least around 80cm to try and swallow a skink that size. Cool photos.

Here are some pictures of a few things we found during Field work in Mpumalanga.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:26 am

Some more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:30 am

More.
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 am

More.
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 am

etc.
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:39 am

etc...
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 am

etc...
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Adriaan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:43 am

Last but not least.
Adriaan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Awe Adriaan! The gost came out GREAT man! Sal vir jou plan maak as ek kry!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Wow some really nice finds and pics man!
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards