relocating some of our C. cataphractus

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

relocating some of our C. cataphractus

Postby Cordylus3 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm

about a year ago i costructed a big inclosure with the intention to keep a group of C. cataphractus under semi wild conditions. but until now i was afraid to put my precious catas in it, because of loosing daily overview and my anual inspection/data collection of all individuals.
however, over the years we have been lucky in breeding this species and i tought i could try my luck letting go 1-2 catas.
at the and of day two they are all there, and seem to be showing there normal behaivior....... feeding ,basking

Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Re: relocating some of our C. cataphractus

Postby Fooble » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 pm

That enclosure is astounding!

They look beautiful in such a set up, second of course to seeing them occur naturally.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby D@RRYL » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 am

Wow ! Now thats a beautiful enclosure. Looks like they are enjoying their piece of Africa in Holland.
The bible says we have been given the power to tred apon serpants and scorpion. Please watch your step....
D@RRYL
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:20 am

I am sure they will like that. You can put more plants in there for them too. Someone should send some photos of their natural environment so that you can fine tune their enclosure.

I am sure they will breed well in there.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Gorgeous enclosure! And those crevaces are perfect.

I've seen my fair share of these in the wild and the habitat looks perfect. I have to add that the places in which I have found them have limited grvel plains, but if your's utilize it, why not.

I've always found them on massive rock outcrops with very limited soil/gravel cover. And a few succulents growing in small cracks.

I have no idea on the captive behavior of these, but I have often noticed a single dominant female with many males in her harem. Maybe it's worthwhile isolating your females with 3 or 4 males.

Good luck with them.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Cordylus3 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks guys for the positive comments. The reason for the quit big sandy area is that i want to combine the catas with turtles thats also the reason while i went a bit easy on the plants. Soft ones i elevated so the turtoises cant reach them the rest very hard or spiny others experimental (expandibel)
My other groupes of catas are indeed dominated by one male, groups concist of a aduld male several females and there young, when male catas reache sexual maturaty they come in conflict with the alpha male, depending on the sise of the terrarium (room to occupie new teritory) and dominance of the young male it can go without significant stress otherwise it can get very messy. its also very hard to introduce new individuals in to a group, female or young included i suspect that smell is a importend (tool) in social cataphractus behaivior.
Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby tristan 92 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Perfect ! How do you feed them ? crickets have so many possibility to hide, eat plants etc, you give a big number of crickets to be sure that they eat or something like that ?
tristan 92
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:34 pm

I don't think I've ever seen something like that, nicely done!
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cordylus3 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 pm

tristan 92 wrote:Perfect ! How do you feed them ? crickets have so many possibility to hide, eat plants etc, you give a big number of crickets to be sure that they eat or something like that ?

Hi tristan

We feed them one cricket per day per animal in a disch near the crack, bevor that we take the legs off the cricket to make sure they get the highest possible nutritional value from it.
greets
Rene
Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mikhail F. Bagaturov » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Dear Rene, its really great enclosure you made there!
In fact You can put some decent population of crickets into the tank, as well as some mealworms and maybe giant mealworm too and enjoy. In fact you need to additionally feed all those but it is possible. They will be used as an additional food to those you give them on a permanent basis each day.
Just my though.
BTW. I would add also some of woodlice too to establish a colony.
All the best, Mikhail from Russia
Visit my site: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

The Leningrad Zoo, St.Petersburg, Russia
"Department of Insectarium and Amphibians"
Zootechnist
Mikhail F. Bagaturov
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards