Ouroborus, Smaug pics

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Re: Ouroborus, Smaug pics

Postby Cordylus3 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Herphabitat wrote:Cordylus3, could you please post some pictures of your breeding set up for S. mossambicus?

this one and the one above houses each one pair of S. mossambicus the elevation in the middle prevent them for seeing each other when basking, also they have each there own feeding disch. the sise is about 120 40 40 cm.
greets Rene
Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks for the picture Rene, your setup looks very well done and is obviously working. The glass front allows you to view/ observe this shy species more easily than you would be able to in a pit style enclosure.

In actual fact they are the mozambican equivalent of our Sungazer. They live in burrows in open grasslands and give live birth. They need lots of calcium and sunlight and they will breed. Winter nights must be cool (not cold) but the days need to be hot.

BV, I am curious where did you learn that S. mossambicus lives in burrows? Even Branch says that "This girdled lizard lives in cracked boulders in montane grassland or well-wooded lower slopes."

I keep a trio of this species 1.2 in an outdoor pit. I have provided them with a buried pipe surrounded with rocks which they live in but I have never observed them digging their own burrow and infact I have never seen them leave the safety of their rock pile.

Regards

Warren
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:30 am

Warren I was told this by someone who was collecting them in Mozambique. It may be that he told me this so that I would not know where to look for them if I went looking. Trappers / dealers are not the best source for information I suppose.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks Arno, There is unfortunately very little information available for this species and it would be great to see some pictures of them in their natural habitat.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cordylus3 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:06 pm

The information i have is that they occupie about the same habitat as your warreni depressus.
Theres one artikle from broadley could not get my hands on it yet.
Broadley, D.G. (1962). On some reptile collections from the north-western and north-eastern districts of Southern Rhodesia 1958-61, with descriptions of four new lizards.
The area they are found is known so if you search on that you might get an impression of its habitat.
greets
Rene
Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Just for confirmation sake with regard to the specific micro habitat of these lizards, I have it on good authority that these lizards do in fact live in fissures in syenite boulders as well as fissures in quartzite.
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:59 pm

I've seen them in granite, quarzite, sandstone, shale, prety much any rock type which provides a crevace small enough to wedge into.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:43 am

I'm sure you are right Westley, the point being that they live in rocks opposed to burrows.
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous lizards