Could someone please help me identify this mystery?

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Could someone please help me identify this mystery?

Postby carine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:58 pm

I found this tiny specimen sailing on our stoep yesterday afternoon. It was quite late, almost dusk, and very warm for this time of year.
It is about 10cm-12 cm long and moves exactly like a snake. Please note the two small legs in the hind quarters. It raises it's tail when not in motion.I was also facinated by the bulblike tail.
Can anyone identify this little critter? I apologise for the quality of the photograph, it was taken very quickly with my phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carine
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Could someone please help me identify this mystery?

Postby nvlooi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:05 pm

2 things.

Can you upload a bit bigger picture & where this pic was taken(town).

From what I can see it is possibly a Dwarf Burrowing Skink - Scelotes sp...

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby carine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Ok, I resized it, don't know if it will help, unfortunately it is all I have, the little thing was fast :)
I am in Kuilsriver, Western Cape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby carine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Thank you nvlooi. I googled that, they look very similar but as far as I can see all of the dwarf burrowing skinks have four legs, also their legs seem well developed. What I found very strange about my specimen is that it only has hind legs, also they seem more like feelers than actual legs. It doesn't use them at all except to lift up it's tail when at rest. I hope this elaboration helps.
carine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby carine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:46 pm

I apologise nvlooi. I searched like an idiot! I think you are right! Thanks for the identification.
carine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:41 pm

No apologise needed, Im stil not sure on the species and its diffucult to say from the pic.

H

Look at this article.
http://researcharchive.calacademy.org/research/scipubs/pdfs/v54/proccas_v54_n13.pdf
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby carine » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks, I was reading that exact article right now. I've come to the conclusion that it must be scelotes bipes, it certainly looks like the pictures I have been able to find. Cool to know one lives in my garden, I just hope the cats don't notice.
carine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Great find. Try upload it onto za.ispot.org.uk...south african data collection database. All findings valuable
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards