Bearded Dragon

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Bearded Dragon

Postby LizardLover » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 am

Wasap my reptile loving friends,

Why is it illegal in Cape town? I know almost 8 people in my area that keeps them. I've seen allot of ads on Guntree, Junkmail and Olx of people in Cape town selling them. That drives me mad! What can I do? Where do I report them?

Thanks for reading and happy New Year!
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bearded Dragon

Postby Lillypod » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 am

Personally I feel if those people take good care of their animals I see no need to report them, the problem comes when people "set them free"... It's just my personal opinion...
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Well Bearded dragons and many other species are blacklisted because they are considered possibly invasive. There is nothing we can do about it short of having another Risk assent done.

There might even be more illegal bearded dragon keepers in the Western Cape than legal snake keepers. But its illegal none the less and cape nature will gladly give you a large fine.

Lillypod its not about how capable the people are of looking after these animals, its about the idiots that would release exotic animals into the Western Cape.

Cape Nature is just "overly protective" because in the ecosystem in the Western Cape is appernly fragile and these species are a possible risk.

Most of us legal keepers just ignore them and let cape nature do their job and fine them. You could go get the details of all these people and give it to cape nature. The chances that they do anything is slim but they might just do something. The problem is a bit bigger than what I think cape nature can handle. But we will have to wait and see.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 pm

I see what Lilly means, I won't report them because I know they love their animals and they would take good care of them. Is it also people that set leos ,and all the other illegal lizards, free that made them illegal?

Thanks for the comments
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Despite a risk assessment for iguanas and the Cape will still not allow them. Reporting anyone who does have them or other "blacklisted' reptiles serves no purpose.

No exotic reptiles, that can be attributed to the pet trade, have ever become invasive and established anywhere in South Africa. I have asked for localities of breeding areas so that we could try to eradicate them and the response has been rather poor. The potential is there for certain animals like red eared sliders and certain geckos and possibly Anoles too to become invasive. Stick to the laws and try to convince the authorities via legal scientific means to change their policies.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kfc223 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Very well said Arno.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AshSmulian » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi guys,

Personally I think if you are a highly responsible reptile owner and understand the importance of not letting exotic reptiles out into the wild then you should be allowed to keep these animals. Its pretty unfair to be restricted due to it being a POSSIBLE threat.
1.0 Normal Ball Python

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
― Anatole France
AshSmulian
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards