Rock Monitors

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Rock Monitors

Postby reptilelover » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi Guys,
I need some advice please. I've had my male rock monitor for sometime now. He is about 3 years old +- 50cm from snout to vent.
After trying to source a female for more than a year, I eventually got lucky and found one. She is about 4 years and measures 55 cm from snout to vent.
I was a little concern with the first introduction between the two but it went well, as a matter of fact.... very well, my boy has been trying to mount her from the get go.
I'm worried that they might be to young or small to start breeding ! I have spoken to Bjorn who feels that it should be OK, but would probably consider keeping them seperate till she grows abit.
Our rock monitors are part of our family and i'd hate to put them at risk. Any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks Alot !!
reptilelover
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rock Monitors

Postby du Preez » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Sorry, I don't have any particular advice (except that if you are worried about it then there is no harm in waiting until they're both a bit bigger and more mature, and you can be absolutely confident that they [at least the female] will be able to cope with mating and clutching) - but I would love to see pics of your animals and their enclosure setup as I'm looking at getting a pair. Thanks so much!
du Preez
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptilelover » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks for the post. I don't want to seperate them unless i have to, i'm hoping that the guys that have the experience will be able to advise.
I'm in the process of building and inside / outside enclosure for them. Currently they are kept in a 2.4m x 1.2m x 1.2m cage with bellyheat, heatlamp, hides and logs to climb.
I use soil as substrate mixed with a bit of bark and i have a flat feeding rock where they take their meals. (chicken livers, hearts, wings, fillet, fish, boiled eggs, rats, mice, etc) they will basically take anything.
I will post some pics in the next couple of weeks when their new enclosure in done.
reptilelover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby du Preez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for those specs - looking forward to the pics.

Until the experienced guys reply, I'm sure that your gut and your own experience will let you know what's best for your animals.
du Preez
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards