Veiled chameleons

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Veiled chameleons

Postby andre1981 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi all,this is my first post so please excuse me if its in the wrong area,i recently bought 2 veiled chameleons,i was told it was a male and a female,one month later and it turns out they both female,went back to the reptile shop and bought another male,there was a option to trade one female back for a male but after a month our whole family got too attached to the the girls,so a few days later i realized that according to all the forums i have been on i now have three girls,lol,so now i am avoiding my local; reptile shop as they cant seem to tell the difference,so now i am desperately seeking a male veiled chameleon,i am based in cape town and any help will be greatly appreciated,can chameleons be shipped?obviously first prize would be to find a breeder in cape town?thanks any advice will be appreciated
andre1981
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Veiled chameleons

Postby aquadementia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:05 am

you know they cant be housed together, right? they are easily sexed by looking for a spur on the back foot between the two sets of toes. If there is a spur then it is a male. It sounds like you havent really done any research on the species... they are not difficult to look after but they have certain requirements that MUST be met. i.e. they MUST have UVB - this can be via direct sunlight (NOT through glass as this filters uvb) or a UVB bulb (to be changed every six months even though box says year). They also need calcium powder dusted onto their food as crickets lack this naturally.

If it were me I would keep one female and return the rest. They are solitary and will just end up fighting once they are mature. Please, dont risk it
aquadementia
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards