Heating

Heating

Postby RaD » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:26 pm

So as some of you know it is always pretty hot in PMB during summer but these last 2 days have been freezing. I am keeping an eye on the temps in my ball python's cage (120x40) and it's hovering around 25. Which is too cold obviously. Now I have a problem. The way I see it is I can buy a bigger heat mat (the one I have now is probably A4 size and it seems to have been doing the trick until now) or I get more of the A4 size ones. What do you guys think? And is there a better way of heating the cages besides heat mats?
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:53 pm

Mmmm. It really depends on the keeper.

A lot people will not put lights in their cages, as animals can easily burn themselves on it.

I've never had that problem though. Every single one of my display cages have a 175W infra red globe connected to a thermostat. All these cages have huge waterbowls to combat the drying effect these globes have on the cage enviroment. Sometimes the air still gets a bit dry though. That's when the spray bottle makes an appearance.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby RaD » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:25 pm

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is an infra red globe and where can you get them? Do they emit normal light like a regular globe? Also what do you do for lighting in the cage? I've got a 40W incandescent bulb that stays on during the day and off at night.
Sorry bout all the questions but I'd like to get it right.
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:07 am

An infra red globe just emits a lot more heat than a normal globe. I usually buy them at hardware shops. I'm sure certain lighting and electrical shops will carry them as well.

Only my lizards have additional lights, in the form of fluorescent UV globes. None of the snakes have other lights in their cages.

A 40W won't do much heat wise in winter. It just lights up the cage so you can see your animal.

You don't have to apologise for all the questions. That is we are all here. To learn. :)
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:19 am

What size is your enclosure. It's winter here too and I am struggling with the snakes in glass cages as they are not insulated.

I would not recommend using lights in a cage as it also dries out the air. I sold a Ball Python to a guy once, and he thought he was very clever and only had a light bulb in the cage.

Needless to say, the snake did not eat and didn't shed properly. Eventually when he got her onto a heating pad, she started doing really well.

If you do decide to go with infra red lights, make sure you have them covered, i.e. no direct exposure to the light, and running off a thermostat.

Just my 2 cents.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby gaboon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:39 am

I bought a ceramic heat emitter recently but haven't put it in yet. What is the best (and cheapest) thermostat and where do you get them from?
gaboon
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Heating

Postby Blob » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi.
I'm looking for a place to buy a 53x28cm heating mat that is 28W for my hedgehog.
Do you know of a place where I can find a heating mat close to this size and wattage that is safe for my hedgehog?
Blob
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Heating

Postby ewertb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:42 pm

@ RaD and Blob: Any wattage heating pad becomes 'safe' with the addition of a proper thermostat with the thermostat probe stuck to the pad. If you're however worried about the heating pad still burning your snake (hedgehog for Blob) through direct contact you can stick it to the underside of a ceramic/slate tile. This will help spread the heat more evenly.

@ gaboon: You can buy good digital thermostats at most of the reptile suppliers, i.e. Ultimate Exotics, ClickAPet, etc.
African Fat Tailed Geckos 0.2.0
Ball Pythons 2.3.0
ewertb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)