Ball Python Breeding and cohabitation

Ball Python Breeding and cohabitation

Postby crankshaftster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi all

I would like to ask a question about my bally to the experts here.

I have recently gotten a male ball and im very interested in the possibility of breeding.
My question is, would i be able to get another female for breeding purposes and can they stay in the same tank until such a stage as they old enough to breed? or would they need to be kept seperate and then put together for a period for breeding?
I have quite a big cage for my ball, so adding another shouldnt be an issue if you thinking about habitat size being a problem.

Please could someone advise me on what steps i need to take and if the perfect scenario of me not having to get another tank would be possible.

thanks alot

Steve

Moved
crankshaftster
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ball Python Breeding and cohabitation

Postby Psychogav » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm

It is never a good idea to keep your snakes together. How are you going to feed them? Although I must be honest I have done it before. But as I said, feeding is a huge problem.
Psychogav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Maybe if you introduce them he wont think it's his sister.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CLSmith » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:12 pm

CLSmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Constrictors should'nt be fed in their own cage(Habitat) as when you are gonna take them out the possibility of getting bitten is alot higher, They should be taken out placed in a tub etc and then fed that way after a while they get use to going into a tub to be fed and not in their own cage.
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ClintonT » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:57 am

Do a search on this site or the net, and you will find some valuable information regarding the keeping and breeding of Ball pythons and the conditions required to induce successful mating.

Crash wrote:Constrictors should'nt be fed in their own cage(Habitat) as when you are gonna take them out the possibility of getting bitten is alot higher, They should be taken out placed in a tub etc and then fed that way after a while they get use to going into a tub to be fed and not in their own cage.

While Crash's comment above holds merit, with ball pythons this can create a problem. Some are temperamental feeders and disturbing them prior to feeding can remove the initial feed response and result in the animal not feeding at all.
Clinton Thomson
Just Ball Pythons
http://justballpythons.wordpress.com

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

"You were born an original...don't die a copy." - John Mason
ClintonT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:24 am

Haha,,, had the hole “keeping snakes” together debate this morning.

For breeding, wouldn’t recommend it s they could mate immaturely, or underweight/age and cause stress to the female.

My 2c
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby crankshaftster » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks peeps,
This info is really helpful!

Going to have to do a little more digging though,
Im concerned about the one eating the other, or possibly the snakes not mating after time due to the cohabitation.

But i will not keep 2 together until i have all the info i feel is needed to do this safely!

Thanks peeps, and any more info is welcome
crankshaftster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bianca » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Would it be safe to keep them together in the same tank if you fed them in a separate container?

I only have two snakes at the moment, Ball Pythons, one is slightly smaller than the other, and we have them in separate tanks for now but are planning on getting a third one.

We want to eventually put the two Balls together but will always feed them in a container outside of their tank. I'm sure this will eliminate the problems you are talking about. My concern is their different sizes?
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:25 pm

A friend of mine keeps both of his in one cage(2 females[pastel & normal), he removes the one when feeding and then the other.
They both feed in the cage.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CoN » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Besides premature mating, the other thing to think about with cohabiting is diseases. If one Ball get sick the other one will too, double Vet bills.
0.1 Normal
0.1 Albino
0.1 Pastel Lesser
0.1 Spider
0.1 Lesser Platinum
1.0 Enchi
0.1 Pinstripe
1.0 Pastel Yellow Belly
0.1 Yellow Belly
1.0 Pied
0.1 100% het Pied
1.0 Bumblebee