Ball python - Red belly

Re: Ball python - Red belly

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Wade, it applies to all methods of heating.

I've had the same two thermostats for over 5 years. R500 for such a long period isn't a very big expense to be assured you always have the correct temps.

Byron's racks are most likely just well-planned, but I have heard horror stories of heat cable melting and shorting, causing fires etc.

I've also seen those cheap foil heat pads catch alight, and even one of the nice Exo-terra ones which was scorched pitch black.

Why risk it for R500?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LAMB Pythons » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:26 am

wadekilian wrote:
westley wrote:Most guys dont realize this, or they simply ignore it, but the normal heat pads running straight from the mains is too hot for any snake.

You NEED a thermostat! It's one of the most important pieces of equipment for any keeper.

I'm guessing that only applies to heat pads? Don't you also think its hazardous to put the heat pads inside the enclosure instead of under / over it?
If you`re using tubs, the heat mat/pad goes outside/underneath and vivs inside, it`s not hazardous when both connected to a thermostat. The issue I have with heating equipment without a stat and straight from the wall is that, the heating equipment is running/using all the Wattage 24/7. Meaning the equipment is being overworked and are likely to fail sooner. Take a car for example, what will happen if you step on the accelerator keeping the revs in the maximum for a very long time? Same with heating equipment. Thermostats saves you money too, it only switch on when needed.

Earlier this year I bought a rack from Byron Zimmerman, and before putting my snakes in it I checked the temps. Turns out it works perfectly without a thermostat and gets the tubs up to a perfect temperature from 23 degrees at night to 28 in the day. While that may be the exception rather than the rule, IMO, I think its better to check the temps first before spending ±R500 on a thermostat (that may only apply to racking systems though).
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:43 am

Wade, I hear what you are saying, however, and not to cause an argument here. Electrical equipment which is powered up day in and day out does sometimes have a problem with malfunctions eventually.

I also bought a Rack from Byron, told him I wanted to keep BP's in it, and he has put the correct heating wire in, the Rack stays around the 34C mark which is perfect.

I have however coupled this to a controller, set with a 2 degree temp. difference. So when it gets to 34 it switches off, and back on at 32. This gives the equipment a break so to speak every now and then, and also will serve to its lasting a bit longer.

Just my thoughts on this matter.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 am

Some of my ball pythons tend to go a bit pink before a shed but that clears up in a day or two.
Yours seems to be a lot more red and is probably due to something in its environment.
I would suggest getting rid of the substrate and putting it onto newspaper at lest for now.
If it were me I’d have it at the reptile vet asap.

I’m also a huge believer in thermostats, I have one on every tank and on every rack.
I like to put my heat pads inside the tanks but I put them under a ceramic tile that I raise up slightly to allow air flow under the heat pad (just make sure the snake cant get under it).

I honestly think if your keeping a pet you need to give it every thing it needs to be happy and in the best of health.
If that means spending more than the snake is worth on husbandry well then its part of the deal.
If you consider a rack keeping say 10 snakes well then R 500 for a thermostat is well worth the R50 per snake in my opinion.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for clearing up a few aspects that I wouldnt've thought of guys.

But I worded that comment a bit weirdly, haha. I was referring to checking the temps with a heat pad before buying a thermostat (my comment made it seem like I was referring to racks with multiple snakes). I know the heat cable in racks are connected in parallel, so in theory all levels should get the same voltage (so each level is kind of like a heat pad?). I just thought it would be better to check the temps before spending R500 on a thermostat that only connects to one or two heat pads, which might not be practical for people who have bigger collections. I may just be rambling on, but I do get it now, it'll probably be wiser to play it safe, and as Westley said, rather not risk it for R500.

Roland, I might actually try that, it seems like it could work for me. Will look into picking up a thermostat at the upcoming expo.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 pm

I must have about 15 thermostats running at the moment but there are cheaper options.
One could use a geyser thermostat however they seem to have a large temperature gradient so the temps can drop quite a bit before it turns back on.
One of those should set you back a little over R100.

If you are using heat cable and its getting the temps where you need them with out the thermostat that's great.
I like to have the reassurance that the temps wont get to high and like that fact that the digital thermostats also give me a temperature read out.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Anery is the red gone now or what? Send another photo of the belly and a photo of the enclosure if you want. Thanks.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Psychogav » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:20 pm

I've seen this before and it was not pretty. It starts off pinkish and red, then turns into a massive blister and turns out to be a severe case of scale rot, get it off the substrate and put it on some newspaper. I hope the snake is OK. Please update us as this goes on I would like to hear exactly what the Vet does on this.

I have also seen it heal up quite well in the past using some betadine on a daily basis, but it takes a while.
Psychogav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am

Remember that with racking systems one can choose several different heating wires. If the correct heating wire is used it should be colour coded as to the amount of heat it emits. For e.g ranges from yellow to red, yellow emitting the lowest heat and red emitting the most. People who design and build these racking systems incorporate this information into the design.

I think the best part of using thermostats is the piece of mind it gives.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby newbe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:23 am

Hi there,

All this talk of thermostats is getting me a bit worried. I have a normal male BP for a little over a year now and have a foil type heat pad under the enclosure and so far I have never experienced any problems at all with over heating or malfunctions or anything (touch-wood)

Anyway I would just like to know where exactly can I purchase a thermostat as I am currently in the process of getting another BP and will soon be moving them to tubs as opposed to large enclosures and here in PE reptile keeping isnt a big thing at all (hardly any stock of reptile equipment at pet shops)

I believe that the heat pad should be on the outside of the enclosure but thats just my opnion on the matter.
''Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY. Willing is not enough, we must DO.'' - Bruce Lee
newbe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 am

I am pretty sure BradMiller(memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3632) had some very nice digital ones for sale.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:37 am

Newbe there are plenty places to get reptile related equipment here in PE. You just need to look in the right places. A couple of the shops here in Pe may even source the stuff and order it in for you, just ask them.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:24 am

newbe wrote:Hi there,

All this talk of thermostats is getting me a bit worried. I have a normal male BP for a little over a year now and have a foil type heat pad under the enclosure and so far I have never experienced any problems at all with over heating or malfunctions or anything (touch-wood)

Anyway I would just like to know where exactly can I purchase a thermostat as I am currently in the process of getting another BP and will soon be moving them to tubs as opposed to large enclosures and here in PE reptile keeping isnt a big thing at all (hardly any stock of reptile equipment at pet shops)

I believe that the heat pad should be on the outside of the enclosure but thats just my opnion on the matter.

I disagree, Yes for plastic tubs and racks it`s recommended to use the heat pad on the outside of the enclosure. But with a Vivarium its a different story, say the average viv`s wall thickness is 15mm. If you place a heat pad under the viv, more heat is required first to penetrate the wood before heating the enclosure.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MikeBodd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:01 am

I agree Lamb pythons. I don't see how you can put a heating pad under a wooden enclosure approx 15mm thick.
MikeBodd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scales » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:58 am

That red belly is a thermal burn, it happens when the snake is in direct contact with the heat mat and there is some moisture in the substrate. Always better to put heatmats underneath enclosures connected to a thermostats.
scales
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)