confused about permits.

confused about permits.

Postby confused » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:15 pm

hello sorry to do this to you guys again. I lived in the northern cape where I never needed a permit for my ball python because according to south African law a exotic reptile I did not need a permit. now living in eastern cape the eastern cape government decides that I need a permit which I only found out about a week ago. so I have been living here illegally for the last 8 months. please can someone help me. how do I go about getting a permit for a snake I have owned for 5 years. and how can provincial government have there own laws against national government? please help I don't want to break the law I would love to have my snake legally. thanx :smt012 :smt017 :smt017
Never Fight with idiots they will drag you down to their level and beat you!
confused
SA Reptiles Member

Re: confused about permits.

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:01 pm

You made an mistake. The Northern Cape is the strictest region and requires permits for all reptiles.
Where does the snake come from originally?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby confused » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:06 pm

it comes from Kimberly northen cape and there you purchase them no permits involved!
confused
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:02 pm

You need permits for all Snakes in every Cape province, exotic and indigenous.

The person you bought the Python from in the Northern cape must have lied to you if he/she said that you do not need a permit for Exotics in the province.

Each province has their permit system, Capes require permits for both exotic and indigenous, Gauteng for only Indigenous and Kzn does not need any permits except for Threatened or Protected Species (TOPS).

As for how you are going to get your snake a permit I do not think you can because no export/import/transport permits were organized.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Do an search of the forum so you can catchup on the laws.

About getting permits.
If you declare that you and the previous owner had no permits then it will be an fine for both.
There is an chance that after the fine you will get some help with the keeping permit but it could also turn out that the animal is put down.

Do the catchup and then ask about stuff you don't understand.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:10 pm

I agree with It_Bit_Me, there are a few people on the forum from the Eastern cape that can explain everything you need to know.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Naneek » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:23 pm

I applied for my permit (for a corn snake) on Monday 24th June.. Could take up to 3 weeks they said. I hate waiting lol.
Naneek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 am

Naneek wrote:I applied for my permit (for a corn snake) on Monday 24th June.. Could take up to 3 weeks they said. I hate waiting lol.

You can expedite the permit by paying double. It will then take 3 days.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 am

@ confused
Where are you currently living in the Eastern Cape? The general rule is to approach the biodiversity permit section. Explain that you were informed you did not need a permit for the snake and subsequently found out you did. It’s more than likely that you will get a warning and be issued the permit. I highly doubt you will get any fines, just approach the right section in the deparment.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

The alternative is make the snake "disappear". Apply to import it from outside the province. Once the permit has been issued then the snake re-appears. So much easier and you dont have the possibility that they could fine you and confiscate your snake.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Natcon NC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 am

@confused it is correct as It_Bit_Me said you did need a permit to keep it in the Northern Cape. But lets see if we can help you out of this problem. Who did you buy the snake from and when. If you do not want to name names on the forum you can send me a email at lsmuller@ncpg.gov.za and I can contact you so we can talk about the matter.
Natcon NC
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Naneek » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:20 pm

it_bit_me wrote:
Naneek wrote:I applied for my permit (for a corn snake) on Monday 24th June.. Could take up to 3 weeks they said. I hate waiting lol.

You can expedite the permit by paying double. It will then take 3 days.

Thank you. Will keep that in mind
Naneek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Bushviper wrote:The alternative is make the snake "disappear". Apply to import it from outside the province. Once the permit has been issued then the snake re-appears. So much easier and you dont have the possibility that they could fine you and confiscate your snake.

I agree with Arno. This avoids confiscation and a fine.
Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots.
Shaun
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Shaun wrote:
Bushviper wrote:The alternative is make the snake "disappear". Apply to import it from outside the province. Once the permit has been issued then the snake re-appears. So much easier and you dont have the possibility that they could fine you and confiscate your snake.

I agree with Arno. This avoids confiscation and a fine.

Daai bek sny rieme vir jou gat
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby confused » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Just a bit of feed back I finally got my ball python's permit today so she is legal. Whoooopi :-D :-D
confused
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)