Enclosure Advice needed

Re: Enclosure Advice needed

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Looks very nice.

Don't be afraid to add a few sturdy decorations with some height; although BPs are terrestrial, you will see the explore higher often.

Is that substrate corn cob?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby chadvdw67@gmail.com » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:22 pm

Cool, I will do that

Not 100% sure what the substrate is, all I can tell you is it's like wood chips, Repzotix recommended it
chadvdw67@gmail.com
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:37 pm

Corn cob is often suggested by pet shops as it's easy to spot clean, but it just sucks all the humidity out of the air. If you do have corn cob there, that could be contributing to your humidity issues.

What BP morph are you looking at getting?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby chadvdw67@gmail.com » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:44 pm

I don't think its corn cob hey, I got another 2 water bowls today, humidity looks to be spot on now.

I got a little female normal today, all the morphs that I really like I cant afford, and I really like normals anyway, so thats a plus
chadvdw67@gmail.com
SA Reptiles Member

Postby immaculate geckos » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:35 pm

looks really good. there are a few tips i can give but that's my opinion. everybody has there own way of doing things and you will learn as time goes by and your experience grows. congratulations and welcome to the hobby! :D In short a young ball python could quite happily call this home :D
all my concerns have to do with the size of your snake so may be unfounded as long as you realize that as the snake grows some things may need to change.

First concern: ball pythons roll into a ball when threatened (hence the name) when you take the lid off that rock hide you may not be able to get it out.... this could be problematic. I would recommend hides directly on the substrate that can be lifted off.
secondly: Pythons in general love to soak not sure exactly how big your water dish is in comparison to your snake but i am worried it will be to shallow so when the snake has a bath it will overflow.
another thing that could be a factor is that snakes sometimes feel to exposed in a large terrarium and this can mean they refuse to feed. This risk is also increased here by having 3 glass sides.
keep us posted and if you have questions /concerns that's what this is all about.
you may not always like the responses but to quote Bruce Lee
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless & add what is essentially your own."
immaculate geckos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chadvdw67@gmail.com » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks man, I know that as she gets bigger things will need to be taken out/changed etc, that was part of the plan all along

As for you first concern, I had not taken that into consideration, at the moment she is not using the the rock caves, if it does become a problem I will swap them out for some thing else

2nd concern, all the water bowls are big enough for her to soak without spilling anything, for now, as she get bigger I will swap out bowls as needed, I didint want to go for a really big one right from the start because she is so small still

And as for the big terrarium, I know and understand that this is a risk, so I have tried to create a "cluttered environment" so she will feel secure, I also plan on covering the side glass with either those hanging style plants or or those rock like looking wall side covers from ExoTerra

I am always open to constructive responses, as I have been receiving on this forum, you guys have been very helpful, thank you.
chadvdw67@gmail.com
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:15 am

Now there's someone I appreciate for putting so much time, effort, money and thought into his cage to make it as perfect a possible for the snake! Well done it looks perfect in my opinion. Well done!!
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chadvdw67@gmail.com » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks, appreciate it
chadvdw67@gmail.com
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chadvdw67@gmail.com » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Westley, I have to hand it to you, you know your stuff, lol, turns out the substrate IS Corn Cob :smt021 , hahaha, I will be switching to Coco husk or E-mulch ASAP

The enclosure is looking much better now, will take some pics and post them up soon

I am pleased to say that my girl is eating well, unfortunately, her first shed has been a bad one, I am thinking its got something to do with the Corn Cob substrate, otherwise, things are looking good :-D
chadvdw67@gmail.com
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Awesome news man! Glad you have got things sorted now.

Some people say E-mulch is also a mite deterrent so might be something to consider.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Westley Price wrote:Some people say E-mulch is also a mite deterrent so might be something to consider.

Have more than once bought E-Mulch full of mites, so do not deter them at all unfortunately.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Haha, well there you go ;)
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby chadvdw67@gmail.com » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:25 am

So what would you guys suggest for substrate then?
chadvdw67@gmail.com
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chadvdw67@gmail.com » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:34 am

So here are some pics of my girls enclosure, after a good cleaning, substrate swap, and after adding a few new things in her home

chadvdw67@gmail.com
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:20 pm

It looks.... Just perfect!!! Love the setup
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)