Is my Housie sick?

Is my Housie sick?

Postby Sherbitman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi guys - i caught a brown house snake in my Durban garden about 6 weeks ago and have it in a comfortable reptile tank. The surface is soil from the garden and I have a dried root which is great for parking on and a slate for the snake to chill under. It's been very cool and content up until nearly 2 weeks ago when it got a blue / grey haze over it's eyes and it's body. At 1st I thought it was about to shed as it has developed a tiny blemish on it's back(snick in it's perfect smooth skin). Time passed and it refused it's pinky twice now and has not eaten for the last week and a half whereas before it would nosh 2 per week. It's about 350mm long. The blue / grey tint seems to have gone but still no appetite. It just chills all day / night under the slate and doesn't move much at all until i handle it when it then seems like nothings wrong... What say?
Sherbitman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Is my Housie sick?

Postby slangman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 pm

I would say the snake is going through its shed cycle . The eyes cloud over and the snake takes on a dull apearence . It usually lasts around a week and then clears . The snake should shed within 3 days or so if its eyes clearing up , during which time they normally refuse food . I would also not suggest keeping it on soil or sand as this choice of substrate is known for harbouring bacteria and parisites . Can i ask if you have any heat source in the tank and here it is situated ?
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Sherbitman how large is the snake?
If it does not want to feed rather release or you can try feeding it on some geckos it shouldnt refuse those.
Perhaps replace the soil with something else like bark chips or newspaper soil isn't the BEST to use.

hope it comes right keep us updated.

*edit sorry slangman i did not see your post when i made mine.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sherbitman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:09 am

Dude - the snake is about 35cm long. I'd love to try feeding him little gekos but how do you catch them little buggers? I'll replace the soil with some wood chips today! Thanks so much for the advice! If it doesn't come right i'll release him next week!
Sherbitman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sherbitman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:14 am

Thanks Slangman - I don't have any heating in the tank. It sits inside during the day & I take the yank onto the veranda during the day. We're in Westville so I thought our climate was moderate enough for snakes - is this not the case? Thanks so much for the reply!
Sherbitman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:43 am

@ Sherbitman - It should take from 6 to 9 days from the start of that hazy blue colouration to shed.
I am sure that you have nothing to fear, look out for the shed, wait about 2 days after the shed and feed. Things should be back to normal.
I have found with a lot of wild caught housies that they prefer live prey. They can however be converted to Frozen Thawed prey.
Best of luck.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)