Your opinion

Your opinion

Postby charl.dbn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi guys/girls
Just a quick question i would like to ask and your opinions, good or bad will be appreciated.
During breeding season i get a lot of call outs for Lamprophis capensis and end up catching a lot of gravid females as well as getting given eggs to incubate for other people who couldn't be bothered with breeding as well as my own Lamprophis c. that lay eggs. I let the females go after feeding them up a bit so thats all good and dandy. When the babies hatch, i give them each a feeding and let them go in my area, because thats where the locality of the parents are. Whats your opinion on releasing captive bred snakes that are indigenous?

Thanx in advance
charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Your opinion

Postby iiviii » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 pm

My opinion is that it is all good and well, as long as you are not over populating an area or releasing "geneticaly modified" snakes back into the wild.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby charl.dbn » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Im in no way selectively breeding them, they get released as is.I go herping a lot but find more night adders and mozam spitters than anything else
charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 pm

If you wait for the babies to hatch and then release them immediately where the mother came from there is nothing wrong with that. Yes you have given them an advantage in that the eggs could have been food for another animal but considering we built the roads and houses in their habitat we can give a little back as well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Skippy69 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Bushviper wrote: considering we built the roads and houses in their habitat we can give a little back as well.

Job well done I would say keep it up. :D
Skippy69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Phunk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:56 am

Well done charl, I think giving them a meal and sending them on their way is fantastic. It also gives them a little head-start in life. Considering how many people kill a snake as soon as they see it, I would also say spread them out a little so they each get an equal chance of survival.
Phunk
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)