A bit confused

Re: A bit confused

Postby Westley Price » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 am

Thanx DB.

Maybe this would be a good thread to show everyone the main difference between B. capensis (or B. fuliginosis) and maculatus?

If it is not too much to ask, could someone keeping both species possibly take pictures of the differences DB mentions above to give some visual idea of what to look out for?

This would be greatly appreciated.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am

I'm afraid I only have B. maculatus & B. capensis - but I shall do my best to illustrate the differences - I do have CB'11 fuliginosus & indeed olivaceus on order, rather excited about them - coming as part of a trade for some of my CB'11 offspring.
It's not exactly the most clear difference in the world, indeed both of these animals are very dark in colour so their iridescence is very high & doesn't help when trying to illustrate the differences however here's a shot.
Here is a maculatus (left) & capensis (right)

You can see that the mac's head stripes are very thin compared to those of the Cape's, before the eye, they are faded, they meet right at the tip of the snout, almost on the rostral scale. Those of the Cape however are thick & bold, they remain so from the eye to the nose & they meet between the internasal scales.
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:42 am

Also, you can't see it in these images very clearly but the head stripes of the maculatus typically continue on to the body pattern whereas those of the cape break, then the body pattern continues. This is partly an indicator however I have seen capensis from KZN whose head stripes continue to the body pattern.
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 am

That helps quite a lot. Thank you.

Now I just wish we had more House Snake species is SA so we can compare, haha.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm

You chaps do have the potential to find & prouce new mutations of the capensis though which is certainly exciting!
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks all.

Are all of the maculatus house snakes dark toward the tail, or is that just the way mine is??
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:11 pm

No, in all species of Boaedon House Snake (save typically lineatus and possibly virgatus because I have no idea what they look like) the pattern fades after 2/3rds of the body.
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob Macmillan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Ok..... im even more confused. Im trying to find out about origins of BHS, locality names + latin. Any references???? Living in kzn and having caught plenty of BHS, i can say there are so many differences. Im busy scrutinising the Kelly, Branch research and almost declairing defeat due to the attention span of a fly! The simple abrieviated version would really help :)
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kerejoo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 pm

westley wrote:Thanx DB.

Maybe this would be a good thread to show everyone the main difference between B. capensis (or B. fuliginosis) and maculatus?

If it is not too much to ask, could someone keeping both species possibly take pictures of the differences DB mentions above to give some visual idea of what to look out for?

This would be greatly appreciated.

I think that no one owns real Boaedon maculatus in this time. In breeding are some Boaedon species from the complex "capensis" or "fuliginosus" but not true B.maculatus. Look at the real head of Boaedon maculatus from Somalia. You see high number infralabials, loreal is separated from infralabials by smaller scales, two preocular and three postoculare. Three infralabialia contact with orbit .. etc. Check your "maculatus" house snake.

Kerejoo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Btw I have a female that looks very much like the original snake in this topic and she is an angolan ''red and green'' brown house snake.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)