A Few Cape Morphs (image heavy)

A Few Cape Morphs (image heavy)

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Hello all,
I thought i'd pop a few images of some of my House Snakes up here - see what you chaps reckon to them.
First up a CB'11 T- Snow (From anery x anery pairing)

CB'09 T-Albino female which I got in a trade.

CB'08 Anerythristic Female.

CB'06 Large (~1.2 Meter) normal female.

CB'07 Pretty Large (~1.25 Meter) T+ Female.

Hope you folks like them! The Snow, Anery & T+ All come from KZN locality animals.
Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Re: A Few Cape Morphs (image heavy)

Postby Aaxel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Awsome snakes!!

Wish my maculatus male had as much colouration as yours....
Great pics! :D
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Cheers Aaxel - though I wouldn't mind having a maculatus as stunning as the one you have! It is an absolute cracker of a snake!
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Dragon Breeder,
do you now of any one who has created any maculatus morphs, because most of the brown house morphs Iv'e seen are of lineatus,fuliginosus and capensis, but not maculatus, have any morphs ever been created??
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Very nice!
That's an awesome collection you have there.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Aaxel: Nobody has created any maculatus morphs but there is (or was) an albino maculatus in the United States for a time, it was a juvenile and that was back in 2009 - not heard anything since then so I can't really say - it's owner was adamant that it was a fuliginosus but using the methodology I mentioned in the thread you posted, myself and several others are convinced that the animal was actually a maculatus.
As far as morphs of the other species are concerned, capensis is the only species with commonly available morphs, I've never seen any true lineatus morphs, just individuals with more brown/red colour. B. fuliginosus has got several colour variants but I don't know whether or not they are genetic, variants such as black, green & 'pastel' (orange in colour, imported from Tanzania very rarely - absolutely gorgeous!)
Lycodonomorphus (previously Lamprophis) inornatus has been found in albino & I believe also Leucistic forms but I don't think these have yet been reproduced.

So, in short, I'm afraid there are no maculatus morphs commonly available today - sadly.

Edit: Cheers Kev, that's not even half of them though haha!

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Great collection.

Are there any pictures of the "snows" as adults or is the morph too recent?

That t- albino is simply gorgeous. Was the snow created with t+ or t- albino?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Cheers Westley, as far as I know, there should be some adult snows in South Africa - the two aneries I bought are from Byron Zimmerman and they produced both visual T+ And T- Snows, the pupil of the hatchling above is red meaning it is a T-, and the animal below it is black, so must be T+.
I've never seen any images of these snows past hatchling stage - so, I look forward to seeing them grow & how their colour matures myself!
Here is the T+ Snow:

T+Snow (left) & T- Snow (Right.)

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:37 pm

kfc223

Here is where i can't seem to grasp the "snow" idea.
Above are snakes from kfc223 which i sold him both being T- but visually you can see their is a difference in colour.

How does one account for that possibly just natural variation of albinism?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Dragon Breeder » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm

There will be a natural difference in colour between these animals - can I ask from whom you purchased the adults?
I have T- albinos that are a nice orange colour, like the female aove, and I have some that are a deep red, others that are more orange and one that is muddy red colour.
As far as accounting for natural variance regarding what is & is not a snow - I would say, having only ever seen two hatchlings that are, without doubt, snows that you can't just go by colour alone - you must know the parents of the animal.
I myself produced both of my snows from the same pairing - that pairing was from anerythristic x anerythristic - this means that all of the offspring must be anerythristic, those that are also albino, are snows.
If I had produced the above animals from two visually normal animals that I did not know were hets for snow, I would have called them albinos.
If I produced them from two double hets, I would have said 'possible snows' until they were old enough to have that proven - by being paired to an anery or the likes.
I've got a female from T+ x T+ whom I am convinced is a T+snow, but I can't say for definite that she is a snow until she had reached maturity and been bred to an anerythristic.
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 am

Please forgive me for asking, but are anery and ghost browns the same thing essentially ??
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 am

Ja I think they are the same thing.

there is a bit of a dispute whether the trait is actuall anry or simply hypo.

I have a feeling it might be the latter, but that's my personal opinion.

I guess that would make the Snows, Sunglows rather?

Well, whatever they are, they are gorgeous!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Dragon Breeder » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 am

Yes, they are synonyms for the same morphs (along with 'Blue' & 'Blue Albino') - I however do not think they are ghosts on the grounds that to me, as with Corn Snakes, Ghost would be the combination of Anery & Hypomelanistic genes.
I also think that some people have been getting a little photoshop happy and making their aneries look more blue than they actually are. All the aneries I've ever dealt with are more of a greenish grey colour, which is what I envisage an anery House Snake would look like - when a visual albino anery hatches, as above, the colours are really rather similar to those of a snow Corn also, so, it seems like the logical conclusion to say that they are anerythristic.
I also disagree on their being Hypo (Sorry Westley!) - Assuming you mean Hypomelanistic, possible Hypo animals would have a reduction in red pigment, like albinos, leading them to be more yellow in colour than grey/green - Hypoerythristic however, I could buy in to.
Too many people assume that House Snake morphs are going to look like Corn Snake morphs even though Normal Corn & House Snakes look nothing alike.
Just my opinion.

Incidentally, there's a European line of albino-like animals believed to be Hypomelanistic, I traded a hybrid cape x lineatus for a trio which all died within about a month of getting here. :smt013
Here, however, is a representative image:
I'm not sure what to make of them just yet - they are pretty but are they separate from T+/T- - folks need to get breeding them around & see.

Erik
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:02 am

I also saw some Eurpoean breeder had something he called Champagne. Do you know anything about this morph? It looked unlike any albino or anery I had ever seen.

http://acsnakes.co.uk/7013champagne.htm

Is this the same is your deceased additions?
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Dragon Breeder » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:12 am

AC Snakes - yes, that's Adam. Yes, he is the chap from whom I got my Hypos, Champagne is the name of the snake, and the morph is Hypo - I don't think that Champagne is a great example of the hypo morph - I think Truffle is perhaps the best example of a hypo he has.
http://acsnakes.co.uk/7025truffle.htm
But it's that variance that leads me to wondering - sometimes the eyes flash up with a red colour - like a T- which was, until recently - as far as I am aware- the only line of Albino available in Europe and probably remains the only line available stateside.
Dragon Breeder
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)